You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-20 17:56:57

bzklrm

connecting to vista ad-hoc wireless with netcfg

Hello,

I am trying to connect to an ad-hoc wireless network set up on a laptop running vista. I am able to connect to this network from another vista computer, but not from archlinux running netcfg. I can see the network through iwlist, but when I try connecting I keep getting the message: "wireless association failed."

My network profile is as follows (which pretty much reflects how I set up the connection for the guest vista):

CONNECTION="wireless"
DESCRIPTION="connecting to internet computer"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="adhoc"
KEY="*****"
IP="dhcp"
#GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"
DNS1="192.168.0.1"
TIMEOUT=20

I have also tried a static IP address with adequate ifopt (IP address, netmask and broadcast), without any more success. I also have tried to uncomment the GATEWAY line, and to set SCAN to "no". I keep getting the same message.

My network controller module is iwlagn, detected automatically, and I normally can connected to other WPA protected networks without any problem.

I have been googling and search forums and wiki until my head is spinning, but I can't seem to find even a hint of what I am doing wrong. Any thoughts?

#2 2009-05-21 00:02:22

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: connecting to vista ad-hoc wireless with netcfg

wow, I'm surprised I never considered ad-hoc while writing netcfg.

_try_ this. It may need netcfg from testing, I've got no idea how the stable netcfg will go.

If you do use netcfg from testing,
* /usr/lib/network/connections/wireless: Line 32, change ${SCAN-no} to ${SCAN:-no}
* If you uses suspend, replace /usr/lib/network/network with http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=netcfg … rk;hb=HEAD

CONNECTION="wireless"
IWCONFIG="mode ad-hoc"
SECURITY="none"
# SCAN="no" uncomment for stable netcfg
ESSID="replace with yours"
IP="??"
IFOPTS="????"

Change the IP option to static/dhcp depending on your setup, if static, you'll also need the IFOPTS option.

Good luck.

Last edited by iphitus (2009-05-21 00:02:53)

#3 2009-05-21 16:58:20

bzklrm

Re: connecting to vista ad-hoc wireless with netcfg

Thank you for the reply. I actually did try this option, but it seems that iwlagn does not support it, which is why I discarded it a bit too rapidly.
I have a feeling that it is the way to do it though, and I guess it's bad luck for me...

Board footer