You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-21 05:07:13

kandrews

How do I use netcfg with WPA networks?

Before the latest update I was able to use the sample WPA config in /etc/network.d to connect to WPA networks. Now, that doesn't work. Instead, I have been informed that I should use wpa_supplicant to connect to networks. So, I read the wiki on using wpa supplicant and made this entry in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
network={
    ssid="myessid"
    #psk="mykey"
    psk=biglongpsk
}

Then I used this command to associate to my wireless network:

wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

wala! It worked!

So then I followed the rest of the page on how to connect manually and I was happily connected to the internet. Then came the section on netcfg and I became lost. The section on the wiki lost me. I made this netcfg file but I don't know if I got the important parts or not. I really don't know:

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=eth1
ESSID="myessid"
SCAN="no"
SECURITY="wpa"
KEY="mykey"
IP="dhcp"
USEWPA="yes"
WPA_OPTS="-Dwext"
DHCLIENT=no
TIMEOUT=20
DHCP_TIMEOUT=40

Yet, whenever I run it I get: "wireless association failed". This leads me to believe that netcfg isn't using my wpa_supplicant.conf file. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your time.

#2 2009-05-21 05:13:54

firecat53
Website

Re: How do I use netcfg with WPA networks?

CONNECTION="wireless"
ESSID="dd-wrt"
INTERFACE="wlan0"
DESCRIPTION="Automatically generated profile"
SCAN="yes"
IP="dhcp"
TIMEOUT="10"
SECURITY="wpa"
KEY="passphrase"

There's a profile that works with netcfg on WPA-PSK and WPA2 networks (different essid's). Give it a try smile I think the beauty of netcfg is you don't have to create a wpa_supplicant.conf file. It just works.

Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2009-05-21 05:14:56)

#3 2009-05-21 05:48:19

kandrews

Hey firecat53,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the reason I'm posting is that my profile (which looked nearly identical to yours but with a bigger TIMEOUT) wouldn't connect me to my friends wireless network anymore. I'm sorry I didn't explain that in the parent.I was able to connect with just the netcfg file a few days ago, but now that gives consistent "Wireless association failed" errors. The only difference between then and now is that I upgraded my system. But, perhaps they were wrong on the IRC channel. Are you running a fully updated system?

#4 2009-05-21 09:58:54

Mr.Cat

I've experienced a similar trouble a couple of months ago.
That time the reason was that netcfg package on the mirror I used was outdated, so old netcfg failed to use the updated version of wpa_supplicant.

So, you may try updating your system from the main mirror (the throttled one).

#5 2009-05-22 00:36:23

firecat53
Website

Yes, my system is up-to-date. There was a mismatch between wpa_supplicant and netcfg packages for a bit, but that was several weeks ago...shouldn't be an issue now. I also see you have scan='no', which is different than mine. Worth a try smile

Good luck!
Scott

#6 2009-05-22 02:56:57

eldragon

do you have testing enabled? if you do, theres been an important update a couple of days ago, try using wireless-dbus isntead of wireless

#7 2009-05-22 05:41:33

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Have netcfg call wpa_supplicant directly in its config file, do not let it handle WPA itself (it will still use wpa_supplicant but it's not the same - I had troubles with your kind of setup when I migrated to netcfg2 but never with the present one).

This means: point netcfg2 to wpa_supplicant, and lose the KEY= line in the configuration file.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#8 2009-05-22 10:12:53

wisecapt

kandrews, you may try to add QUIRKS line, like in my netcfg profile:

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="no"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID=AVA
KEY="passphrase"
IP="dhcp"
QUIRKS=(wpaessid)

UPD:I'm sorry. I seemed that you have the iwl3945 wireless card.

Last edited by wisecapt (2009-05-22 10:19:26)

#9 2009-05-23 02:32:38

kandrews

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to in range of that WPA network tomorrow and will try your suggestions then. For some further debugging info: I have a ipw2200bg wireless chip and I am not running testing. Again, thanks for all your help. Have a fantastic weekend!

update: it looks like all bets are on hold as the network has been taken down.

Last edited by kandrews (2009-05-30 05:29:52)

Board footer