You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-21 12:59:53

chrispoole

WRT54GL using old modem/router as modem component?

I'm constantly having little issues with my ADSL modem/router, which is some Taiwanese unbranded model that my girlfriend provided.

As such, I'm thinking about buying the WRT54GL, and using Tomato or perhaps OpenWRT.

Given that this is just a router, I'll need an ADSL modem too. Will my current modem/router model be able to perform as the modem only?

(Or does it really depend exactly what my router is capable of? If so, are there any settings that I should look out for in the router web config pages, because I'm quite new to this stuff.)

Thanks.

#2 2009-05-21 13:35:52

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: WRT54GL using old modem/router as modem component?

You can simply bridge your present modem/router smile.

I'm doing the same with the pesky modem/router I got from my ISP...

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-05-21 13:55:40

chrispoole

B wrote:

You can simply bridge your present modem/router smile.

Thanks. I'll check when I get home to see if it supports running just as a modem.

#4 2009-05-21 14:32:43

Forum Fellow
Website

It often requires some digging into the modem settings, and even more often your ISP isn't happy with it if you try to do that stuff (I once called the helpdesk and the guy on the other end nearly started shouting at me for it tongue).

I think the protocol in question is called RFC 1483... I've been staring at those pages too long big_smile

OpenWRT would be an awesome pick btw, their latest incarnation just blew me away - their web interface is absolutely stunning - better than a lot of commercial implementations.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-05-21 14:55:48

chrispoole

OpenWRT seems nice, but I've never run Linux on any embedded systems, or used network devices more than the average consumer usage.

It seems a bit too technical to me. It seems to be a full-blown little distro, that can could be used to turn the 54GL into a seed box (perhaps?), if I understand correctly?

Tomato seems a lot easier to install and use, for my requirements.

#6 2009-05-21 20:09:31

chrispoole

I've had a chance to look at the router.

Is there a name in the settings that I should be looking for, to have it function just as a modem?

Under LAN configuration, it's set to use a static IP address (from ISP presumably) and DHCP server. There's an option to turn server and relay off.

I can also disable NAT and firewall off, which I obviously want to do.

There are a ton of advanced features too, UPnP, SNTP, SNMP, IP QoS, Port Forwarding, Static Routing, Dynamic Routing, etc.

Under dynamic routing section, for LAN group 1 (only group I use), direction is set to 'both'. Changing this to none will stop the router?

I apologise for the ton of questions, but I haven't bought the 54GL yet so want to ensure the modem will function as just a modem first.

#7 2009-05-22 06:21:50

Forum Fellow
Website

chrispoole wrote:

OpenWRT seems nice, but I've never run Linux on any embedded systems, or used network devices more than the average consumer usage.

It seems a bit too technical to me. It seems to be a full-blown little distro, that can could be used to turn the 54GL into a seed box (perhaps?), if I understand correctly?

Tomato seems a lot easier to install and use, for my requirements.

Tomato may be easier yes - less modular, so more stuff out of the box. You barely need the command line anymore with the latest OpenWrt though, if you do not want to use it.

As for being a seed box - you need a way to connect a HD to your router for that, and the WRT54G(L) series don't have any USB ports for example to my knowledge, so it depends on your connectors (and available RAM, most importantly).

#8 2009-05-22 09:32:06

chrispoole

OK thanks, I thought as much.

Do you have any ideas about the modem/router issue? If I disable dynamic routing, NAT and firewall, should the unit function just as a modem?

Or is there usually an option specifically saying to just run as a bridge?

#9 2009-05-22 13:48:06

idosh

There should be an option to run your modem in a bridged mode.

One more vote for the WRT54GL with OpenWRT. I've installed the latest version (Kamikaze 8.09 2.6 Kernel) and everything works great. I even installed Shorewall to ease firewall configuration and I'm seeking to install even more cool packages.

Board footer