You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-21 13:30:04

atkinsonr
Website

Building an appliance, a real commercial enterprise appliance

G'day all.
I'm an archlinux preferring Linux user who has archlinux on my home server, htpc and laptop; I'm familiar with a number of other distros and OS's but I'm by no means a sys-admin ninja.

I've been tasked with designing a server appliance that will host our (web based application) software and be deployed at client sites. The hardware will be full-blown 1RU server with RAID etc, so I'm not considering embedded OS's like ucLinux.

At this stage I'm leaning more towards open/free BSD for this project, but I'm still seriously considering archlinux and, dare I say it, ubuntu.

I have a number of questions, and I'd appreciate anyone who has experience in this sort of thing to chime in with any comments or suggestions on any of the topics below:

1. Has anyone considered Arch for such a project and what was the outcome?
2. Or did you select another flavor of *nix?
3. Did you provide an administration interface for network configuration, etc  (e.g: web based, framebuffer)?
4. Did you provide any method for backup / restore?
5. Did you provide a method for periodic updates? (to the OS and your application)

I appreciate that this is a broad set of questions and perhaps a little off topic, but I have a strong suspicion that there are a few sys-admin ninjas around here who might be able to offer a few pointers.

All the best
- Richy

Board footer