You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-23 17:18:21

Jonhoo

64-bit driver for WN111 ( Marvell TopDog chipset )

Hello all fellow archers!

I've been playing around with my fresh Arch install over the last few days, but one perservering problem is that I cannot get my USB wireless device to work. The relevant output of `lsusb` is the following:
Bus 002 Device 016: ID 0846:9000 NetGear, Inc. WN111(v1) RangeMax Next Wireless [Marvell TopDog]

In other works, it uses the Marvell TopDog chipset. After doing quite a bit of research I have found many potential drivers to pass through ndiswrapper ( which is, as far as I've gathered, the only way of making this chipset work on a linux distribution? ), however they all fail for one of the following reasons:
1. The driver is a 32-bit driver, and so I get errors from ndiswrapper saying: ndiswrapper (check_nt_hdr:150): kernel is 64-bit, but Windows driver is not 64-bit;bad magic: 010B
2. Some files are lacking, and so ndiswrapper says that it's an invalid driver
3. Ndiswrapper swallows the driver, but shows no device present.
3a. If I then try to do `ndiswrapper -a 0846:9000 <driver>`, it says it's present, and, in what seems completely arbitrary, I either get a message such as: "loadndisdriver: load_driver(358): couldn't load driver netmw245" in my everything.log, or I get nothing at all, but also no wlan0 or similar. It just fails silently..

It seems like the only driver Marvell/NetGear do not provide are the 64-bit ones for XP.. Everything else seems to be available.. sad
Has anyone here found a way to get the Marvell TopDog chipset working on a 64-bit arch install?

Fingers crossed...
Jon

BTW: For those of you wondering, I'm writing this through a wireless bridge connected to my neighbours network. And before you ask, no, I cannot just use that bridge for connecting to my own network as it does not support WPA2, and WPA encryption makes it restart every 5 seconds...

#2 2009-05-25 12:12:28

Jonhoo

Re: 64-bit driver for WN111 ( Marvell TopDog chipset )

I've added Marvell TopDog to the missing drivers list at linuxdrivers.com: http://linuxdriverproject.com/twiki/bin … work_cards

Still no-one with a plausible solution for this issue?

#3 2009-08-22 04:31:13

mordervomubel

Re: 64-bit driver for WN111 ( Marvell TopDog chipset )

I have a mini-pci Marvell Topdog. I've had this in a laptop for about 2 years now. I directed my complaints to Marvell, and they replied that they don't deal with end-users, and that I should contact Gateway for the linux driver. There is STILL no native linux driver for this. As much as I like running 64-bit linux, I think I may install 32-bit arch on here so I can use ndiswrapper with the 32-bit windows xp driver. What's a laptop without wireless? Hopefully AMD-v will work in 32-bit mode...

I will do my best to avoid buying ANY Marvell product ever again.

The closest thing I can find to a native driver for Marvell Topdog devices is mwl8k. Unfortunately, it's pre-release status and doesn't yet support my wireless-N device.

Since your device is USB, you may also want to try the libertas driver.

I hope that helps. If not, you're stuck with ndiswrapper like me sad. Maybe one day the LUK project will make Windows obsolete. Till then, research before you buy hardware.

Board footer