You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-01 23:13:06

luna-w

New to forums, but not to Arch

Hey there, I'm luna. [shaking fist at inactive user with the same name]

About 1.5 - 2 years ago, I got sick of the world of Linux. Fedora, which had been my operating system of choice since Fedora Core 1, just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. I was (at the time) using an old Dell laptop, and decided to try something different. Well, it ended up being 20 or so something-differents, varying from the "simplistic" Ubuntu to the elegant-but-difficult Gentoo. FreeBSD seemed like fun, but just didn't have the sort of support I needed for some of my more obscure components.

Then I found Arch, mentioned in brief on a non-Linux forum, and read up about it, and figured "Why not?"

I haven't looked back since. I just (a few days ago) got a new laptop (yet another Dell, XPS M1330) and did another Arch install. Despite running into several difficulties with the broadcom wireless card, xorg.conf's automatic generation, and my sound refusing to work, I'm happy to report everything is going well now. The wiki, as always, was immensely helpful. I'm using KDEmod 4 as a DE, and given my computer's specs it's plenty light enough.

So the long and the short of it is I love Arch, and despite any problems I encounter I always feel great and in control of everything. No other distribution gives me that same sense (even Gentoo -- I was at the mercy of compile times, hardly control unless your time is meaningless) of knowing any problems that arise are my own doing, and because of that I will have the means to fixsaid problems.

I'm hoping to post more, but I'm unsure how much value I'll be to the community here. We'll see, I suppose. wink

#2 2009-06-01 23:28:03

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: New to forums, but not to Arch

Welcome to Arch, glad you like it. Looks like you "get" Arch, so don't worry about your "value to the community" - that will come naturally.

Remember the most important things, like having fun, and you'll be fine. smile

#3 2009-06-01 23:54:41

Gen2ly
Website

You'll be of value definitely - got your way past the installwhich is no beginner's luck.  The people here are good folk.  Don't back off from questions.  Welcome back to Arch.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#4 2009-06-02 00:45:08

luna-w

I stumbled through that last one. I almost gave up over X locking up thanks auto-detecting input devices. That was a real head scratcher. smile

#5 2009-06-02 01:56:09

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

luna-w wrote:

No other distribution gives me that same sense <snip> of knowing any problems that arise are my own doing, and because of that I will have the means to fixsaid problems.

Yay, someone who doesn't blame Arch for their problems big_smile

Don't get me wrong, Arch can cause problems, but they're usually not related to the computer tongue

#6 2009-06-02 09:13:38

Aprz

Meh, just feel like commenting that I don't find stage3 or Portage elegant at all in Gentoo. wink

So since that damn Luna took your name, what's the w stand for? smile

#7 2009-06-02 11:35:43

luna-w

Arch can cause problems

Yes, of course. But the only major problem that I've had was my own fault for not paying attention to the home page. I did a "pacman -Syu" without reading how Arch had upgraded to KDE4 last year (the day it happened, argh -- it was frustrating). Whatever, you live and learn, right? smile

So since that damn Luna took your name, what's the w stand for?

First letter of my last name, of course. I'm terribly unoriginal. big_smile

#8 2009-06-02 12:27:33

thisperishedmin

I predict that your last name is Wingdings.

Now that I'm right...how about handing over all of your credit card info, eh? =P

#9 2009-06-02 13:20:20

luna-w

I don't have any credit cards, I'm fairly paranoid about accruing debt. Wouldn't you prefer my bank account numbers?

#10 2009-06-02 13:56:20

thisperishedmin

I'll take what I can get =P

But seriously, welcome to the Arch community!  I've been using it for quite some time and on a recent install got tripped up by one of the same things.  My downfall was that I wasn't following the wiki and assumed it would be the same as always when it came to Xorg...oh how wrong I was haha.

Regardless, welcome!  Since you mention value to the community, contributions will come naturally on the forums.  And remember - theres always wiki articles to update or add and other such "simple" things for those of us who lack in programming abilities! haha

Board footer