You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-09 16:50:46

k_ibou

X freezes [SOLVED]

Hi everybody, i'm a new happy archlinux user big_smile .

first, sorry for my english...

I have a problem with the X because when pass about 4 or 5 hours X freezes completely. My keyboard and mouse don't respond at all. I looked for a solution in the wiki an I get this  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging i did it but I forgot to configure my keyboard and my mouse (I'm going to try again).

I'm runing a 64bits sytem with 2.6.29-ARCH kernel and nvidia 180.51 drivers (geforce 7200 gs), AMD 64x2 5200+, AsRock AliveNF6G-VSTA

This is my first post and I'm a little bit lost, if someone can helpme  please!!!

if someone can give me an idea of what can I do to solve this.

As a experience, I came from ubuntu and I suffer the same problem but much more quickly (about a 15 minutes and all freezes) in the last version of that distribution. I solved installing the 173 drivers. It is necessary to remove my actual driver and install the old driver?

Thanks to all that are going to answer me. I really apreciate your help.

Thanks smile

Last edited by k_ibou (2009-06-11 15:24:41)

#2 2009-06-10 02:38:02

arunix

Re: X freezes [SOLVED]

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

#3 2009-06-10 02:52:46

eldragon

try switching to a virtual console and back, see if it works again..., this happens to me when i hook an lcd tv through the vga out, dont know how to fix it

#4 2009-06-10 05:27:49

k_ibou

thanks for helping me, I tried both thing but nothing. I'm still looking for a solution an i found this http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=424378 i know that is one year and a little bit more old but i think that is the same problem.

it's a shame to downgrade my nvidia drivers, but it's quite difficult work knowing that the system is goint to freeze in any moment.

if someone have an idea of what is making this extrange behavior i'm really interesting to read it and learn how to solve it.

thanks for the help smile

#5 2009-06-10 14:33:08

windtalker

From the Beginners Guide in the wiki and assuming you're using a proprietary driver:

as root-

# nvidia-xconfig
      or
# nvidia-xconfig --composite --add-argb-glx-visuals

to stop X from freezing [I think it's happened to all of us Nvidia users]

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the device section add:

Option          "RenderAccel" "true"
       Option          "NoLogo" "true"
       Option          "AGPFastWrite" "true"
       Option          "EnablePageFlip" "true"

In the module section make sure all instances of DRI are commented out.

As root do:
# depmod -a

Add hal and your DE to your daemons and reboot.

If you have disabled hotplugging in your xorg.conf by adding-

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

and x is still freezing up then remove it, make sure to save the removal and reboot once more.
A change has been made that no longer requires disabling hotplugging for some users,, at least this user.
I dunno where you're at on your install but if you have made enough changes that your current install is butchered it may be faster and easier to just start over again.

Last edited by windtalker (2009-06-10 14:36:22)

#6 2009-06-11 04:11:16

k_ibou

thanks windtalker, I test what you proposed me and i got the same. As a matter of fact hotplugging is working very good in my system.

And yes, I have my system exactly as i want. I did the change the propietary driver 180 for 173 and the problem was fixed. I don't know why this... I believe that the drivers are the problem, because as i said before, in ubuntu intrepid it happened the same with the 180  drivers.

I don't know if can i put the "solved" tag to the post....

thanks for the help, i hope that the next release of the driver solved this bug.

#7 2009-06-11 14:53:19

windtalker

I would put solved to the post as the problem has been fixed by you switching drivers.

Board footer