You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-09 19:39:48

IncredibleLaser

Migrating root hard disks

Hello, fellow Arch users. I'm running a small and private ftp server here at my university with 4 hard disks, and I'm limited to 6. The disks are organized as followed:
- 2x500GB with a boot partition formatted with EXT2 in a RAID1, a swap partition in a RAID 1 and a third partition in a RAID0 and part of an LVM volume group
- 2x1000GB, all in a RAID0 and part of said volume group
The VG is split into a 20GB root partition and the rest is space for the ftp server. Migrating the data inside the volume group should not be too hard with pvmove. But I'm a bit concerned about the computer being able to boot afterwards. Has anyone done this before? My approach right now would be:
- Insert the new hard disks
- format them like the old 500GB ones (i.e. 100MB for /boot, 250MB for swap, the rest for the LVM volume)
- create the RAIDs
- add the big RAID to the VG
- use pvmove
- mount the new /boot partition to a temporary folder
- copy all files from /boot to the temporary boot

But what do I do next? My guess would be to edit /etc/fstab accordingly, reinstall grub like described in the wiki and then editing /boot/grub/menu.lst. It's not urgent, but it would be nice if anyone here had ever done something similiar and could confirm if that's the right way or tell me how it must be done. Thanks in advance.

#2 2009-06-09 23:00:22

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Migrating root hard disks

Those steps sound pretty accurate. Even if something does go wrong, you can always boot the Arch LiveCD and fix Grub from there.

Board footer