You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-13 22:53:35

Jonhoo

[SOLVED] iwlist finds all other networks than mine

Hello fellow archers!

I've posted this in the Newbies corner as well, but realized this might be a more appropriate forum for this post...

I've been trying to set up Arch Linux on my laptop for a while now, but am completely stumped at the problem I've encountered.
My laptop is equipped with a Intel PRO/Wireless 5300 AGN draft-n wireless network card, and the drivers install just fine, however, the issue comes when trying to connect to my wireless network.
Upon first boot, I could connect to my network after setting up wpa_supplicant with the relevant info ( My network uses WPA2 - AES, broadcasting SSID, channel 9 ) immediately. I ran `pacman -Syu`, and installed all updates ( this also included an update to wpa_supplicant ). After a subsequent reboot, I went through the exact same procedure again ( only this time I had already set up wpa_supplicant.conf ) with

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "<ESSID>"
sleep 10 # Just in case
wpa_supplicant -B -D wext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

But this time, iwconfig does not associate with my AP.

I tried scanning for networks, and discover that it finds 15 different wireless networks, with all different channels and encryptions, but not mine!

I have tried everything I can think of, but my network does not appear in the scanning list..
The network works just fine on my desktop computer which is also running Arch Linux through a RaLink RT2870 right next to my laptop..

Anyone have any clue what might be going on?
Jon

Last edited by Jonhoo (2009-06-14 19:57:36)

#2 2009-06-14 08:39:47

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] iwlist finds all other networks than mine

you might have to install CRDA, Intel adapters seem extra fussy these days when it comes to wireless regulations..

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2009-06-14 09:29:32

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Can we see your config file, just in case?

Also

$ wpa_cli status

might tell you something interesting (as increasing the debug level of wpa_supplicant).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2009-06-14 10:54:37

Jonhoo

B wrote:

Can we see your config file, just in case?

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wheel
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

And then the entry generated by wpa_passphrase..

B wrote:

Also

$ wpa_cli status

might tell you something interesting (as increasing the debug level of wpa_supplicant).

I've tried running wpa_supplicant with -dd, but still get no error messages, or hints of error messages.
As the computer with the problems has no internet, I can't post the output of it, but it seems completely normal.
wpa_cli status gave SCANNING as a result yesterday when I tried it, but now, it says that it cannot connect to wpa_supplicant, even though no errors occured when starting it, and the last line read Daemonizing... I can even see it in ps -ef...
I will try a reboot and see if I get it to work then..

litemotiv wrote:

CRDA

CRDA drivers?

#5 2009-06-14 10:57:26

Jonhoo

Nope, even after a reboot, and running the exact same commands as yesterday, I still cannot connect to wpa_supplicant...

EDIT: I've tried running wpa_supplicant in non-daemon mode, and it seems that it is indeed running without problems, but it's just scanning for appropriate networks without finding any ( i.e. it finds all the others, but not mine )

EDIT2: I tried adding network={key_mgmt=NONE to /etc/wpa_supplicant.cont}, and it now immediately connected to one of the open networks in my neighbourhood, so it seems that the card and wpa_supplicant are at least working...

EDIT3: But wpa_cli still cannot connect to wpa_supplicant, even when I'm connected to an AP..?

Last edited by Jonhoo (2009-06-14 11:21:16)

#6 2009-06-14 12:31:47

Jonhoo

Wow, CRDA made it work!
I just connected my laptop to the internet through a wire, and did

pacman -S crda

edited the file it says you should edit, added wireless-regdom to rc.conf daemons, rebooted, and voilla!

Thanks guys!

#7 2009-06-14 18:28:50

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

good to hear Jonhoo, don't forget to mark the topic solved smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer