You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-16 02:28:29

Veovis Muad'dib

Broadcom wl driver walkthrough please?

I'm just starting off using Arch Linux, after a long time in Ubuntu.  I've installed it several times, but I don't have easy access to an ethernet port in my home, I rely on wireless.  I have a Macbook Pro 4,1 with a broadcom chip, and my research says that it requires the broadcom wl driver, which is only available in the AUR.  Normally I wouldn't have a problem learning to use something like that, but in cli, plugged in to the hardly accessible ethernet port, and trying to read the standardized tutorial and remember it through a reboot and install, and having trouble after installing even using the ethernet port, I'm requesting help.  Is there a way to install Arch through FTP with the broadcom driver?  And, with this being my only computer, how can I download it from OS X or Vista and then install it from Arch? (I've already downloaded the file actually)

Sorry I'm rambling, but I need to be using something to learn it, I can't read directions and then do it a while later.  I also can't get online after an install through ethernet, which is strange because I use ftp to install.  After I get the wireless drivers, I can teach myself all I need to know, but not until then.

Last minute thought: Is it possible to install Arch in a VM, configure it correctly and do an ftp install by leeching my connection from my laptop, install the wireless drivers myself without even needing an answer to this post since I could have a browser open on the host, and then dump the VM onto my HD?  I know I can't with something from source, but Arch uses binaries, so I should be able to, right?

#2 2009-06-16 06:27:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Broadcom wl driver walkthrough please?

It's not clear from your post if you can install using the ethernet connection, but if you can, you should. You will not be able to get the source code for the wl driver without a working internet connection.

#3 2009-06-16 10:23:18

Veovis Muad'dib

tomk wrote:

It's not clear from your post if you can install using the ethernet connection, but if you can, you should. You will not be able to get the source code for the wl driver without a working internet connection.

Sorry, I realize my post was difficult to read.  For some reason, I can install with an internet connection through ethernet, but as soon as I'm done installing and I boot from the HD instead of the CD, I can't use ethernet anymore.

As for the source, I already have the archive downloaded from the AUR, and it is on both my HFS+ partition and my NTFS partition, if that helps.

(I'm not really concerned with fixing the ethernet issue, because ethernet is difficult to use in my house anyway.  I'd only fix it if it was absolutely nessasary to get ethernet in order to get my broadcom working.)

Last edited by Veovis Muad'dib (2009-06-16 10:25:09)

#4 2009-06-16 14:26:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

Veovis Muad'dib wrote:

I can install with an internet connection through ethernet, but as soon as I'm done installing and I boot from the HD instead of the CD, I can't use ethernet anymore.

You need to configure your network interface. See the wiki for details.

Veovis Muad'dib wrote:

As for the source, I already have the archive downloaded from the AUR, and it is on both my HFS+ partition and my NTFS partition, if that helps.

The tarball provided on the broadcom-wl AUR page provides the PKGBUILD and associated files that will enable you to build an Arch package for the driver. It does not include the driver's source - that is downloaded from broadcom during the build process. Alternatively, you can download it yourself and place it in the build directory. Again, full details are available in the wiki.

I strongly recommend that you set up your ethernet connection correctly and use it to install and configure the wl driver.

References;
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Configuring_network
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_BCM4312

Board footer