You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-21 09:43:35

Revolt
Website

Ath9k Operation Not Supported

Hello everyone!

The strangest thing happened!

I had a functional and up-to-date 32-bits arch setup where all my hardware was working correctly, including my ATheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter, using the ath9k module.

I decided to reinstall arch in 64 bits mode to take advantage of my 4GB ram, possible speed improvements and because 64 bits is the future (or so you'd expect). Everything installed fine and I was able to log with root and create a new account, setup the wifi connection (I use ad-hoc mode at home) and update pac and followed all reccommended steps in the Beginners Guide up to the installation of the xf86-video-ati drivers and configuration of X.

I had to reboot after this because there was an error in my X config and the screen stayed black instead of showing the xterm window as expected. However, after reboot, I could no longer change the mode of my ath9k interface.
These are the steps I take to set it up (same as the ones used on the 32 bits and initial 64 bits boot):
ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
ifconfig wlan0 up
ifconfig 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
iwconfig wlan0 essid "Phoenix" key s:<key>
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

and the dns are set in resolv.conf

What happens now is that following the 'mode ad-hoc' command, I get this message:
"Set failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported."

Now things that have changed and I think that may have contributed to this situation were the installation of HAL and the upgrade of the kernel and wireless_tools packages. However, my 32 bits system was working fine with the same up-to-date packages so I can't possibly imagine what may be the cause of this.

PS: I can scan for networks and do everything else, it's just the mode that fails (afaik). Maybe the package isn't too stable in 64 bits?

If you need any logs just ask and I'll provide them (dmesg.log doesn't have any error message regarding ath9k though)

Thanks in advance!

Edit As misteriously as it had appeared, the problem seemed to vanish after another reinstall big_smile

Last edited by Revolt (2009-06-22 09:03:26)

Board footer