You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-21 13:20:37

Veovis Muad'dib

[Solved] DNS problems too!

Another member in the forums is having DNS problems, I wasn't sure if I should threadjack or make a new one.  If I shouldn't have made a new one, I'm sorry, but the problems seem different to me.  After a fresh ftp install, I reboot and attempt to go get KDE, Gnome, and Opera, to name a few.  But after I reboot, I can't do anything internet related with pacman.  I can ping google till the cows come home, but I can't do anything with pacman until I go through the pacman mirrors list, comment out every single one, and then uncomment one at a time and write out, then, in another VC, try a pacman -Syu.  I do this again and again until I'm more than halfway through the list, when finally, one works. 

(The error I get with pacman is something about resolving issues, I'm in OS X now so I don't know what it says.  Next time I post, I'll update everyone.) {EDIT} The error is "Transient Resolver Failure."

After I get a mirror that works, I install my DE's and go into epiphany to download opera.  But Opera.com doesn't resolve.  Nor does google.  Or any other site I try.  But I can ping them all.  I managed to get google to come up by typing the IP, but as soon as I try to search anything, the page doesn't load.  However, google is alone in this, no other site will let me visit via IP.

I do DNS through my router, with Open DNS.  I figured that might be the problem, but I set it to my ISP DNS server in my router, and I still have the same problems.  I then set Open DNS on my computer, and try like that, but no help there either.  I've tested in OS X (I'm writing it here, aren't I?) and Vista, and no problems going anywhere on the web in either.

Having found a mirror that works once, I haven't had problems with pacman since.

Brainstorm: After this post, I'm going back into arch, to try to enter my pacman mirror's address into epiphany (the main page, not the repo.)  I'll report back and tell you if it works.

UPDATE: I installed Arch via locke.edu.  It does not resolve, and I cannot reach it with pacman.  My current mirror is gatech.edu, and I can visit that page in a web browser, as well as pacman.  That and google are the only sites I can reach.  But I went over to a friend's house, and EVERY site works.

Last edited by Veovis Muad'dib (2009-06-25 07:01:22)

#2 2009-06-21 20:13:49

ckristi

Re: [Solved] DNS problems too!

What does your /etc/resolv.conf reads? Maybe your DNS servers are not working ok.

In love I believe and in Linux I trust

#3 2009-06-21 23:08:55

ralvez
Website

If in doubt you can use OpenDNS to try.
Here are their DNS addressess : 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

R.

#4 2009-06-25 06:58:03

Veovis Muad'dib

I'm going to continue the discussion here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=574610

Both of you had the solution there for me, but DHCP kept undoing my work, so I didn't realize it.  Thank you.

Last edited by Veovis Muad'dib (2009-06-25 06:59:27)

#5 2010-01-14 11:20:08

tempo

ralvez wrote:

If in doubt you can use OpenDNS to try.
Here are their DNS addressess : 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

R.

the solution works for me!!!
thank you !!!

(before i added "alias net-pf-10 off" to my modprobe.conf and rebooting, but no use)

Last edited by tempo (2010-01-14 11:27:38)

Excellent!!! Archlinux is installed in my USB-HDD ^.^

Board footer