You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-26 07:45:33

amarc

Block kernel updates

Hello members. I hope this is thread is OK on this subforum. I want to run Archlinux on my server but there is one thing that bothered me last time i try'd to run Arch on server. Constant kernel upgrades.  I mean, I dont need it that much do I ? And there is allways reboots after upgrade etc.. Usualy you setup server and care only about security updates of your services (ie. apache, php... ). Is there a way to block kernel updates after instalation? And is this maybe "stupid" thing to do.. ? Thank you cool

#2 2009-06-26 08:13:10

mikesd
Website

Re: Block kernel updates

You *could* add kernel26 to IgnorePkg in pacman.conf. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not. Holding back the kernel may have unintended consequences. Arch is a rolling release distro and that is how I use it. Maybe someone else has tried this?

#3 2009-06-26 08:29:19

Pierre
Developer
Website

To underline this: There are no security updates for Arch. Just updates. So, blocking any of them is not really a good idea.

#4 2009-06-26 09:53:00

jealma

You can do selective updating, takes a little more time but spares you the rebootes. I run Arch on my server and mostly I upgrade PHP, MySQL, Lighttpd, sshd, nfs stuff, samba, ssl, libraries, other normal programs, etcetera. The kernel, kernel-headers, klibc-*, filesystem utility updates and that stuff, I don't update those all the time. Once every 100 days or so, I do a complete pacman -Syu and then a reboot, works perfectly.

#5 2009-06-26 10:28:35

combuster
Website

Why dont u compile your own kernel and run it, u won't be affected by arch kernel updates then... U can fine tune it to run as a server and disable many options you dont need, after all I think that arch kernel is a preemptive kernel that is not ment for servers...

Board footer