You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-26 15:30:35

sreich

Samba timeout when trying to connect to a computer in a workgroup

Hello, seems like the best section to post this in...

Right after I installed my Archlinux setup, I spent a bunch of time trying to get samba running perfectly, mainly, it was just so that other (window$) computers could access mine. Upon getting it working perfectly, both ways, I didn't use it for a while (which is typically the case).

So today, I need to transfer lots and lots of data, but via Dolphin, browsing the workgroup (which I clicked), lists all the computers that are there, including my own (this).

That's good so far, but after I browse to one of those computers (even my own!!), shortly thereafter, I receive a timeout error.

I have tried restarting the samba daemon, netfs, I also tried stopping network manager, and starting the network daemon myself, hoping it was network manager's brokenness that was the problem. Nope.

Still left in this situation...and nothing that I can remember, has changed since the last time, I didn't screw with config files or anything. Although, I do think I changed routers between this time, I also remember seeing some updates for samba-related packages.

All out of ideas, I posted here.

I can post my smb.conf file..or anything else for that matter, if you want. I just want this problem to be solved, and currently am forced to boot into window$ to transfer lots of data. Naturally, I can't do anything during this time, when not in linux....and it kills me a little bit more each time I have to see it wink

EDIT: Also note that, I tried using the default config, but I still get timeouts(and restarting samba daemon of course). With 'smbtree', it lists all of the shares available on the workgroup also. I also use the gamin program, as opposed to FAM. Originally, I followed the wiki, and that was how I get it working in the first place, but no longer does it work correctly. The logs in /var/log/samba/ do not show anything interesting, and in fact, only show about 1-2 lines, just saying that it started..

I also had it say about a firewall possibly being in use, but on a reload/retry, it returns to a timeout error. I do not have any firewalls that I am aware of, on.

Update: Well I figured out if I run the following command: smbclient '\\NAS\Data' that I will then be taken to a prompt where I can do ls, cd, etc, and browse that share perfectly. What's going on here? Dolphin still times out on it and I would prefer to use a GUI for this..

Last edited by sreich (2009-06-26 17:00:14)

#2 2009-06-26 18:57:30

sreich

Re: Samba timeout when trying to connect to a computer in a workgroup

Well I decided to try to use 'smb4k', which I just recently found, it also sees all of the computers on my network, but it also sees their shares after I browse into it. Unfortunately, it fails to mount any of them...

"mount error: could not resolve address for NAS: Name or service not known
No ip address specified and hostname not found"

That is the message I receive after clicking (mounting) on one of the shares of the 'NAS' computer, the one on my network.

Perhaps this error will make things a bit more clear?

I've been even looking at the docs at samba.org, trying to debug this issue...

UPDATE: Seem to have limited the problem down, at least now I can mount a share on a computer but *only* if I specify the IP address manually.

So it appears that it cannot resolve the name of said computer/share, to an IP... what could be causing this, and how can I fix it?

Last edited by sreich (2009-06-26 19:17:12)

#3 2009-08-04 00:20:06

advoss

I had this problem under Ubuntu and Debian, the solution was to install (and configure if there is configuration, I dont remember) winbind deamon.  I have only been on Arch for 2 days, and am currently encountering the same problem.  Near as I can tell winbind is included with the samba package (there is a samba config somewhere where SAMBA DAEMONS can list winbind....according to I have found on google).  However I am trying to keep this computer fairly light and don't want to install all of samba just to mount a share temporarily.  Thanks for mentioning the ip address works, that allows me to get at the files I wanted.

Sorry I don't have the exact answer, but hope this helps.

#4 2009-08-17 02:47:15

advoss

I found a solution.

edit /etc/nsswitch.conf
so that the hosts: line reads

hosts: files wins dns

(I am not sure if installing samba was necessary or not but you have it installed anyways it seems)

Board footer