You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-01 21:57:53

Hallucinogenic

Problems establishing a wired internet connection after fresh install

I had this problem about half a year ago and had posted about it on these forums. Shortly after, I had given up due to having too much else on my plate at the time. Now I'm ready to give it another try, but I seem to be hitting the same wall as last time. I didn't want to necromance such an old thread, so I figured that I should create this one.

This is the old thread just in case it might help: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=66179

I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to Arch Linux and Linux in general, but I feel that I'm taking a bit more time to learn about each individual configuration file this time (rushing it was my downfall last time). I have the Beginners Guide printed out and have used that throughout the installation.

So I have just installed archlinux-2009.02-core-i686 on my old Dell Dimension B110 with no problems at all. I have edited the rc.conf file so that the hostname matches up with the one in /etc/hosts. I have also made sure that eth0="dhcp" and that routes=(!gateway).

I read on another forum that I should replace eth0 with the appropriate interface name. So I ran ifconfig -a and it then listed three interfaces. Here's a short description of each:

lo            link encap: local loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
              up loopback running mtu:16436 metric:1

the rest of the values were 0

wlan0     link encap: ethernet hwaddr  00:11:95:8d:2e:af
             braodcast multicast mtu:1500 metric:1

wmaster0   link encap: unspec hwaddr 00-11-95-8d-2e-af-00-00-00-00-00-00
                 broadcast multicast mtu:1500 metric:1

As I said before, I'm very new to Archlinux, Linux in general, and also am not very knowledgeable about computer hardware (yet).  So I'm not entirely sure what lo, wlan0 and wmaster0 represent. I read on another forum that wmaster0 is definitely not it. So I'm guessing it is wlan0? I also have a wireless card installed, but I am not concerned with messing with that until I have my wired connection working.

Is it necessary at all for me to replace eth0 with one of the above in my rc.conf?

Should my rc.conf look something like wlan0="dhcp" ?  (note: I have tried this and so far it has not worked).

Every time I ping -c 3 www.google.com, the host is not found.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who is willing to help.

,Ryan

#2 2009-07-01 22:23:20

Neheb

Re: Problems establishing a wired internet connection after fresh install

just so it`s said: I don`t know much about hardware or linux, but:

it seems to me that there isnt any interface for wired connection. at my own computer I got the 3 you have as well as an eth0, so I doubt that lo or wmaster0 are the wired connection. The wlan0 however is for your wireless card (unless the naming somehow got really messed up)

you could always try running "dhcpcd <interface>" ("dhcpcd wlan0") too see if it connects.

Last edited by Neheb (2009-07-01 22:23:38)

#3 2009-07-01 22:41:48

Hallucinogenic

Thanks Neheb, for such a quick response big_smile

I tried dhcpcd wlan0 just now and archlinux responded with:

wlan0: dhcpcd 4.0.10 starting
wlan0: waiting for carrier
wlan0: timed out

So I guess it isn't connecting for now, but that's probably because I haven't set anything up for my wireless card. (I forgot to install wireless_tools during the initial install, so I was going to use pacman to install it once I had my wired connection running).

It's strange that an interface for my wired connection isn't showing up, since my wired internet has always worked for me in the past (with Windows, Ubuntu and Slackware). Would having a bad ethernet cord affect this? Is there a setting that I've missed?

#4 2009-07-02 01:39:03

Statix

If you have no eth0 interface with ifconfig -a that means your ethernet controller isn't being detected at all. It wouldn't have to do with a bad ethernet cord, since the device would at least still show up.

Could you give us the output of

lspci

or identify your ethernet card (or motherboard/laptop in the case that it's onboard.)

Madly in love with Arch64, Openbox, DotA, and of course... penguins!
Happy to help if you're not a Help Vampire. Use your wonderful resources like ArchWiki, Google, and our wonderful search page.

#5 2009-07-02 02:31:46

Hallucinogenic

Here's the internet-related devices from the output when I put in lspci:

01:00.0 ethernet controller : Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros ar5001x + wireless network adapter (rev01)

01:01.0 communication controller : Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k data/fax modem

01:08.0 ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82562ez 10/100 ethernet controller (rev02)

Since the first is my wireless card and the second my modem, I'm guessing that the last one there is the one I'm looking for. Strange that it's showing up here but not when I type ifconfig -a. Anyone have any guesses as to why it's doing that?

Last edited by Hallucinogenic (2009-07-02 02:32:00)

#6 2009-07-02 02:47:11

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

try `modprobe e100` if it isn't already loaded.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#7 2009-07-02 03:02:46

Hallucinogenic

I typed modprobe e100 and didn't get any sort of output. (I have no idea if I was supposed to get an output or not). Since I don't know anything about modprobe, I Googled it a bit and found that it adds or removes modules to/from the kernal - is that correct? Or is modprobe another way of seeing if it is already there?

#8 2009-07-02 03:21:00

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

ifconfig -a now and see if there is a interface for your card, if not, then check dmesg and see if it says something about the card.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#9 2009-07-02 05:56:09

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Hallucinogenic wrote:

I typed modprobe e100 and didn't get any sort of output. (I have no idea if I was supposed to get an output or not).

No news, good news.

Since I don't know anything about modprobe, I Googled it a bit and found that it adds or removes modules to/from the kernal - is that correct? Or is modprobe another way of seeing if it is already there?

Google doesn't hold the truth, but in this case it's right. You can always consult the manual:

man modprobe

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#10 2009-07-02 13:55:27

Hallucinogenic

@Mr. Elendig: I just did ifconfig -a, and it finally listed eth0! But I'm actually not sure if it was there the first time or not - I think I may have forgotten to scroll up the first time I did ifconfig -a *smacks self*. It was just recently that I found out how to use Shift + PgUp/Dwn to scroll. So I don't know if it was the modprobe that did it or not - either way it's showing up now. Here's the output for eth0:

eth0      link encap: ethernet hwaddr 00:16:76:19:21:a0
            broadcast multicast mtu:1500  metric: 1
            the rest of the values were 0 except for txqueuelen: 1000

@B: Oh, I completely forgot about looking at the man page for it, probably would have been a good idea. I'll go ahead and do that for now on.

Last edited by Hallucinogenic (2009-07-02 13:56:07)

Board footer