You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-25 22:54:59

ztrange

[SOLVED] Cant figure out how to install kde 4.3rc from official "testi

Well, I'm very new to this and I have lots of questions about Arch and I've been reading lots of forum posts and wiki articles.

Now,I've installed everything in the beginners guide with exception of a DE. And that's because I want to install kde 4.3rc even if the development id not complete yet. I want to install it from official repositories and not from kdemod.

I see there is a kde-unstable repo that I have to enable. But I kind of read that to use it I have to enable testing also and "know how to use it" And well, thats the problem about being new to Arch isn't it? I don't know how to use it nor there is some wiki article called testing.

So I have 2 questions:
How can I "use" testing repo? Are there guidelines to use it or maybe recommendations? I'm thinking about enabling that repo only for kde 4.3 and not for other packages, so, How do I do that?
And also, If I install kde 4.3rc now, whene it is moved to extra in a couple of days/weeks, how should I disable kde testing repo and enable extra again to keep my kde up to date? Will I need to reinstall everything when this happens?

Lol... Those where like 10 questions instead of 2... But maybe the answer is very small. I hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Last edited by ztrange (2009-08-02 22:08:49)

Using Arch Linux + KDE 4.3 rc3 Fully updated, Toshiba U305 S5107 Intel Core 2 duo 2048 RAM.
Sorry for my bad english...

#2 2009-07-26 01:31:42

coda

Re: [SOLVED] Cant figure out how to install kde 4.3rc from official "testi

Hi, I can't answer all your questions but can help you get started.

The file you want is at /etc/pacman.conf so use your editor of choice and open that file. So say I use the vi editor it would be >>>

vi /etc/pacman.conf

If the package you want is in testing uncomment testing repo.

If its at a custom repo put in the custom package repository info at bottom of that file.

Then use pacman -S "package-name" to install what you want.

EDIT

Heres some links maybe some help to you, I don't use kde so don't know anything about it.

conversation about kde 4.3 rc and kde-unstable repository >>>
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=75028

KDE Packages >>>
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE_Packages

Last edited by coda (2009-07-26 02:00:17)

#3 2009-07-26 04:43:35

ztrange

Re: [SOLVED] Cant figure out how to install kde 4.3rc from official "testi

Thanks coda for your answer... I'd already read those posts and wiki....

Anyway, I have successfully installed kde 4.3 rc3 smile Now I have to tweak it a lot to get it working but everything is fine this far.

Using Arch Linux + KDE 4.3 rc3 Fully updated, Toshiba U305 S5107 Intel Core 2 duo 2048 RAM.
Sorry for my bad english...

Board footer