You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-01 21:11:56

ztrange

[SOLVED] Seeking for advice at aur package managment.

Hello again.

I've been using arch for a little time but this far I like it more eveyday.

I've installed virtualbox PUEL from the AUR with makepkg and pacman -U. It's working fine.

But I want to install more software from the AUR. Actually, maybe I'll be installing lots of software from the AUR. My question is, since these software is installed "manualy", is there an easy way of keeping it up to date?

I've tried yaourt but I really don't like it very much. (Im not using sudo [maybe later] and it asked my root password 3 or 4 times and finally wasn't able to install anything; pacman works fine. Yaourt has no good documentation) I even created an AUR account to see if there was some way of getting notifications of updated packages to upgrade them manually. But this far, I haven't found any satistactory solution.

Edit: Also, I've seen that at least for virtualbox and yaourt, there are repos that can be added to pacman. Can I add a repo for each piece of software chosen from the AUR? Are there repos only for some "very used" software?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by ztrange (2009-08-02 06:44:08)

Using Arch Linux + KDE 4.3 rc3 Fully updated, Toshiba U305 S5107 Intel Core 2 duo 2048 RAM.
Sorry for my bad english...

#2 2009-08-01 21:25:55

flamelab

Re: [SOLVED] Seeking for advice at aur package managment.

ztrange wrote:

H

But I want to install more software from the AUR. Actually, maybe I'll be installing lots of software from the AUR. My question is, since these software is installed "manualy", is there an easy way of keeping it up to date?p

Actually, I think that with yaourt you could do the best update for all AUR-installed packages. yaourt -Syyu --aur --devel for example.

I've tried yaourt but I really don't like it very much. (Im not using sudo [maybe later] and it asked my root password 3 or 4 times and finally wasn't able to install anything; pacman works fine. Yaourt has no good documentation) I even created an AUR account to see if there was some way of getting notifications of updated packages to upgrade them manually. But this far, I haven't found any satistactory solution.

Try aurbuild as well wink

Edit: Also, I've seen that at least for virtualbox and yaourt, there are repos that can be added to pacman. Can I add a repo for each piece of software chosen from the AUR? Are there repos only for some "very used" software?

Thanks for your advice.

Except for [community] of course

I can think of two unofficial repos:

repo.archlinux.fr

[archlinuxfr]

Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/i686

or

[archlinuxfr]

Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/x86_64

and adslgr32/64

amd64

[adslgr64] 
Server = http://adslgr64.tiven.org/archlinux/x86_64

and the
i686 one

[adslgr32] 
Server = http://adslgr32.tiven.org/archlinux/i686

#3 2009-08-01 21:58:26

rwd

For me yaourt works fine. With the documentation do you mean 'man yaourt'? It has the exact same syntax as pacman, plus a few extra commands. It was meant to be run as a unprivileged user for security reasons, and needs sudo for calling pacman to actually install  downloaded/compiled packages. There are alternatives though, in case you don't like yaourt: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Helpers

Last edited by rwd (2009-08-01 22:50:57)

#4 2009-08-01 22:16:11

jelly
Administrator

rson's slurpy is quiet nice , but you dont have yaourt like features too install packages you have to run makepkg yourself. Also the ruby helper is quiet nice. And yaourt has nice documentation it has even a site check it out .

#5 2009-08-01 22:23:51

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

I have a ~/build folder that I keep everything in, and use slurpy to interface with aur. It can check for updates and everything, without getting in the way like some of the other aur tools does. It's also really fast, unlike most of the others smile

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2009-08-01 23:00:20

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

There are many unofficial repos, many of which include binary packages of software from the AUR. Have a look at the wiki page for Unofficial User Repositories.

#7 2009-08-02 00:48:27

ztrange

Ok, I just configured my account with sudo and reinstalled yaourt.

Now it's working fine. I even removed firefox and installed firefox-branded. I wanted to install google-gears. With the shiretoko thing, google said that it was not compatible with something not called firefox. But for with firefox brended it says something about the build of firefox
So, now I'm getting desperate... I need google gears for offline gmail. Anyway, I'll keep investigating. I' mark this thread as solved tonight but I'll leave it "open" for anyone that wants to give me some advice about google-gears.

Thanks for everything, Arch community is the best!!

Using Arch Linux + KDE 4.3 rc3 Fully updated, Toshiba U305 S5107 Intel Core 2 duo 2048 RAM.
Sorry for my bad english...

Board footer