You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-13 03:53:47

sharpie

Espeak over SSH and a way to type back.

Hi guys.  What I'm trying to do is use a Windows computer SSHing through putty to my ArchLinux laptop.  The laptop has no DM or WM, but what I need is a terminal that both the laptop and the Windows with Putty can type on.  I've tried changing the DISPLAY variable so that they're both the same, but that didn't work.  I can't seem to find anything on google about communicating over xterm.

How would I get the same X server information or DISPLAY data to show up in both places?

Essentially, I want a terminal that appears on both the Windows machine and the Arch machine.  Could this be easier on an Arch to Arch setup?  Thanks for your input guys!

#2 2009-08-13 04:19:47

tom5760
Website

Re: Espeak over SSH and a way to type back.

Look into GNU Screen.  It will let you share a terminal session with multiple connections.  No X or xterm required.

#3 2009-08-13 04:31:03

my0pic

Not sure if this is what you mean but you can start a screen session on the laptop with

screen -S <nameofscreen>

the name can be anything.
Then from the windows machine, log on to the laptop and join the screen session with

screen -x <nameofscreen>

This creates a joint shell where two remote users can collaborate but you must log in as the same user on the laptop that started the screen session.
Hope this helps. smile

#4 2009-08-13 06:03:49

sharpie

Hey guys.  I read about screen and I'm certain it's what I need here.  I followed the ABS guide here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS … _Directory swapping "slim" for "screen" to install it and everything seemed to go just fine until I tried to run it.

I do:

user@box: screen -s testscreen

And all it returns is:

[screen is terminating]

I think I may have messed something up.  I tried it with sudo also, same result.  I tried it inside of EvilWM's xterm and it gave me another terminal, so I'm going to investigate that a bit.  Any ideas why it won't work?

#5 2009-08-13 06:09:12

sharpie

Not sure why it won't work without a window manager, but it works inside of EvilWM and that's exactly what I needed.  If you guys were curious as to why I wanted to do it, my english class professor assigned us all projects involving social experiments.

I have a laptop that I can SSH into over the school's network.  I'm going to hand it to someone, saying that the laptop told me to give it to them.  Then I'm going to use espeak to make it seem like the laptop is talking to them.  I'm going to use a second SSH to handle the screen command and that way they can type to me.

In the end, I'm just going to see what I can get them to do at the bidding of the laptop.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

Board footer