You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-16 15:55:46

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

freenx or vncserver

I have a headless box that I'd like to remote into periodically.  I've been using tightvnc for this and it works okay but it isn't perfect (mainly problems are with fonts looking kinda shitty, but it's 100 % functional).  I have been reading about freenx and am thinking about trying it, but I wanted to ask this question: how reliably do freenx sessions run without the client being connected?  In other words, if I start a session, then disconnect from it, I want the programs to continue running.

Tightvnc is VERY stable in this regard.  I have left a vncsession running for months before and the programs within the session continue running along just fine.  I read a line in the freenx wiki page entitled, "Tips on resume" which goes on to say, "Resume is a bit experimental, crashes might appear after session has resumed. You have to find out which apps like resuming and which do not." which is really holding me back on doing this.

Last edited by graysky (2009-08-16 15:57:24)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#2 2009-08-16 22:28:25

djszapi
Website

Re: freenx or vncserver

Some work mate by the company use VNC without problem.

#3 2009-08-16 22:59:21

scv5

what's wrong with screen + ssh?

#4 2009-08-17 05:12:28

stryder

I have used nx for a few years, previously using nomachine's packages on a debian-based system and more recently freenx on arch. I have never got the impression that resume is unstable. The most is on my osx client where I sometimes get a "connection failed" error but a reconnect usually succeeds. I rarely run my machine for more than a few days (the most was 1 week, I think) usually running torrent downloads during those times. AFAIR suspend/resume gave no problems. There were a few failures over the years (I think) but never to the extent that I consider the program unstable. However I must add that my use of it is usually limited and I don't keep a lot of programs running. What I like about NX is that everything looks great out of the box and the screen is exactly like I am in front of my server. HTH.

#5 2009-08-20 17:23:44

echasslau

full ack to stryder. use it nearly every day and can't remeber to problems with resuming.
the absolute benefit of nx is the speed. vnc is crapy slow on thin connections...

Board footer