You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-20 16:11:54

quadomatic

broadcom-wl and wpa_supplicant help

I'm trying to set up my Dell XPS M1330, using the broadcom-wl driver, to use the wifi on my school's campus. I set up my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf like so:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=2
ap_scan=1
network={

ssid="UIC-Wireless"
      scan_ssid=1
      mode=0
      key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
      eap=TTLS
      identity="YOURNETID"
      password="YOURPASSWORD"
      anonymous_identity="anonymous"
      ca_cert="/etc/cert/thawte_server.pem"
      phase2="auth=PAP"

}

I got the certificate by exporting a specified one from Opera based on a wiki article from the linux user group at my school (http://lug.cs.uic.edu/wiki/doku.php?id=wifi).

The problem appears to be that when I run:

wpa_supplicant -D wext -i eth0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

I get a message saying that the device or resource is busy and that it is unable to request the driver to associate to the access point (though afterwards it says that it has associated, but it happens far too quickly, and then says it fails to authenticate, so I believe that it isn't associated properly).

When I try to get help from wpa_supplicant, the broadcom driver isn't listed as supported, even though it's listed here: http://man.he.net/man8/wpa_supplicant. Do I need to install wpa_supplicant from AUR in order to have broadcom support?

Thanks

Last edited by quadomatic (2009-08-20 16:12:09)

#2 2009-08-20 16:20:46

Peasantoid
Website

Re: broadcom-wl and wpa_supplicant help

Are you sure the interface is eth0?

#3 2009-08-20 16:23:32

quadomatic

Re: broadcom-wl and wpa_supplicant help

yeah, I know it seems odd, but when you install broadcom-wl, it sets the interface to eth0. You'll find it in the wiki. I also know it's eth0 because that's the interface I use to connect to wifi at home.

Board footer