You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-02 04:37:11

ZeroTruths

[SOLVED] Help with going from dhcp to static ip

So right now I'm using dhcp on my arch box, but for personal reasons (file server, print server, etc...) I'd like to assign a static ip to the machine.
I've noticed that when I get a ip via dhcp, there are different broadcast ips, and frankly, I'm just getting confused. I was wondering if there was a way (probably) to setup a static ip from setting that are retrieved via dhcp.
I know that there's a wiki page as to how to set up a static ip, but there are still some things that I don't understand, so I'd like to know what information I'd need to get from dhcp in order to set up a static ip (essentially the same ip, but it would remain the same)

I will blatantly admit that networking is not one of my strong suites...

Last edited by ZeroTruths (2009-09-03 01:20:29)

#2 2009-09-02 06:01:22

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Help with going from dhcp to static ip

When you have a dhcp address, use ifconfig to identify the address, broadcast address, and subnet mask, and use route to identify your default gateway. All these should be added to the rc.conf NETWORKING section - an example is provided. Make a note of the nameserver address that was automatically added to /etc/resolv.conf under dhcp - it should remain there.

Before you do all that, you may have the option of using a dhcp fixed lease instead i.e. continue to use dhcp, but configure it to provide the same address to your arch box every time. That would depend on the capabilities of the system that provides the dhcp service.

#3 2009-09-03 01:20:17

ZeroTruths

Re: [SOLVED] Help with going from dhcp to static ip

Well I finally got it working out. Thanks for the help smile

... now on to the fun stuff big_smile

Board footer