You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-03 02:31:27

cloudstrife

Need help with Arch system hangs

Hi All,
I have been a regular user of Ubuntu since long. I recently planned to migrate to Arch to help me customize the system and try out the Arch way of Linux. The installation was a breeze. After that problems began some of which I solved with the help of forums. I have been dissapointed with the way somethings have panned out,
1. My system hangs regularly. The mouse moves but I cant click. The only key that works on keyboard is numlock. I have to force resart everytime this happens. Its a daily feature.
2. Yesterday night I locked the screen and today morning the system does not show me the login scree. Again a force restart.

Is this happening to others or did something go wrong at my end.
Can anyone help me fix this.

Regards
Cloud

Last edited by cloudstrife (2009-09-03 04:12:24)

Core2Duo T7250 2.0 GHz
Dell Vostro 1700

#2 2009-09-03 02:38:17

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Need help with Arch system hangs

cloudstrife wrote:

1. My system hangs regularly. The mouse moves but I cant click. The only key that works on keyboard is numlock. I have to force resart everytime this happens. Its a daily feature.

You'll need to look in logs and provide more detail about what packages you have installed, hardware. I suggest opening a topic dedicated to this issue.

cloudstrife wrote:

2. Yesterday night I locked the screen and today morning the system does not show me the login scree. Again a force restart.

I had this once earlier this week after an update. I rebooted (of course) and haven't had it since so I suspect something (kernel, libraries etc) needed to be reloaded to avoid conflicts. Again, if it's a continuing problem, open a topic dedicated to the issue and provide as much information as you can.

At the end of the day, Arch makes absolutely no claims about stability. It is a bleeding-edge distribution so you must expect, and be prepared to deal with, these kinds of problems at times and with particular configuration. If stability is of high enough importance to you, then sticking with Debain / Slackware / RedHat / CentOS may be a better solution for you.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2009-09-03 02:39:12)

#3 2009-09-03 02:38:23

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps during the install you did not include hal in rc.conf.

This affects the performance of the keyboard and mouse.

If you add hal to the daemons in rc.conf, it may help you with your system.

Dmesg also is helpful for finding error messages which give clues to the problem.

More system data will aid in helping with your problem solution.

Do you use xorg and kde?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2009-09-03 02:39:24

Allan
Pacman
Website

Try using a better subject line and you may get people knowledgeable about your problem to look at it.  Currently, you subject line is going to attract people who want to say "bye".

#5 2009-09-03 04:06:33

cloudstrife

Hi All,
I did not mean to be rude or disrespectful. If my post was seen as unacceptable, I apologise. This is the first time I had such problems so I was worried.
I would again like to apologize to the forum and appreciate any help that comes my way.

Cloud

Last edited by cloudstrife (2009-09-03 04:08:44)

Core2Duo T7250 2.0 GHz
Dell Vostro 1700

#6 2009-09-10 18:27:54

silent

Last edited by silent (2013-08-21 08:35:17)

Board footer