You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-06 11:47:37

Mzg

Setting up internet connection with a cell phone as modem

Well, I guess you can figure out what this is all about from the title..

Basically, I have a cell phone (Nokia N95 8GB) which I currently use for my internet connection on Windows XP, connected via USB cable. The question is how I would go about setting it up with Arch.. I really have no idea where to start. I have browsed the Wiki and been Googling for ages without much luck. I would therefore be very grateful if someone would point me in the right direction.

My ISP is Telenor, I live in Norway. I already have the details required for a working connection on Windows, would these be very different on Linux? Or, in other words, do I need additional information?

Do I have to use a "dialer" - like wvdial? If so, where do I get that one without a working internet connection?

Also, I have Arch installed on my US pen drive. Is there a recommended way to make my network settings portable between multiple computers, can I e.g. have multiple profiles?

Archer.

#2 2009-09-06 13:02:55

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Setting up internet connection with a cell phone as modem

I used to do this with a Nokia N70, and when I plugged in the USB able, the cdc-acm module would autoload and create a /dev/ttyACM0 interface that could be used by ppp. ppp is on the install iso, btw.

netcfg can handle multiple profiles - I haven't used it with dial-up myself though.

#3 2009-09-06 13:40:37

Mzg

Re: Setting up internet connection with a cell phone as modem

Aha, so it can be done at least smile I will look at ppp.

Archer.

Board footer