You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-09 04:58:17

Soley

[SOLVED] iwconfig not playing nicely

So I've started using Arch on my main box & it works great. But I wanted to install it on another computer that only connects wirelessly. I have the base system installed along with with the wireless tools. I bring the interface up with

ifconfig wlan0 up

& when I do a

iwlist scan wlan0

I can see my network. I've even unencrypted it to make this process easier before installing wicd. But doing

# iwconfig wlan0 essid "MyNetwork"

it gives me no errors, but does not connect. I've read the arch wireless wiki & set up my /etc/rc.conf properly (I think).

I'm just confused why this isn't working properly. Any ideas?

Last edited by Soley (2009-09-09 05:31:03)

#2 2009-09-09 05:09:29

Soley

Re: [SOLVED] iwconfig not playing nicely

Nevermind. I'll mark this as "Solved".

I had to make the command

iwconfig wlan0 essid "MyNetwork" && dhcpcd wlan0

That's in case someone else is doing the exact same thing I was doing. smile

#3 2009-09-09 05:18:33

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] iwconfig not playing nicely

What do you mean by "Does not connect"

Does it associate with the ESSID, but then not bring up the interface, or does it not even associate?

If it associates, then you need to look at your encryption -- either WEP or WPA.
WEP can be handled with just wireless tools, whereas WPA will require wpa_suplicant.

If the interface won't even associate, you may missing the firmware that the wireless interface may require.

You might search your logs for a sign of missing firmware.

You did not mention the wireless NIC type and model, nor did you provide any details about the network itself (ad-hoc/managed, open/WEP/WPA, 802.11 b/g/n)
-------------------------------------------
Never mind, I guess we were both posting at the same time

Last edited by ewaller (2009-09-09 05:20:18)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer