You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-16 18:16:58

Carlwill
Website

Force Damons to Start in rc.conf?

I just started using Arch and normally when I install a few applications on Debian / CentOS, during the package manager (apt-get or yum) install process, it will install and start the daemon for this and also make it to that if the machine is rebooted anytime, the daemons are auto started in the future.

I find it a task to have to remember all the applications I installed and place them into /etc/rc.conf file. Is this something I must do manually in Arch or is there an easy way?

For example, I just installed:

- ntpd
- sshd
- postfix
- clamd
- amavisd-new

So am I forced to remember all the apps I just installed and properly place them in my rc.conf?

./

#2 2009-09-16 18:18:54

ataraxia

Re: Force Damons to Start in rc.conf?

You can just look in /etc/rc.d to see a list of choices. Compare that to what you already have in rc.conf.

I'd expect that after a little while, you won't be changing the list around too often.

#3 2009-09-16 22:31:00

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Re: Force Damons to Start in rc.conf?

Carlwill wrote:

I find it a task to have to remember all the applications I installed and place them into /etc/rc.conf file. Is this something I must do manually in Arch or is there an easy way?

This is the Arch way, by design. Who is pacman to assume that you actually want a newly installed program to start on boot?
1) You might not configure it properly before next boot
2) It might get started automatically by another daemon (eg, hal and dbus)
3) You might just not want it to start. Eg, I don't want PostgreSQL running on my laptop all the time, only when I want to play with something.

Board footer