You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-18 10:00:48

jabol

[SOLVED]Network latency problem

Hi,

I have a problem with network latency. In my home network I have debian router, arch desktop, arch laptop and winXP desktop. Recently i observed that when i surf on the internet on my Arch desktop pages are loading slowly, no idea why (arch is up to date, version i686 both on laptop and desktop). I got 10mbit/800kbit connection outside. So I've checked laptop with Arch on it and it seems that problem is the same as on desktop. But on winXP desktop it is ok. Pages are loading fine in good speed. I used opera and firefox browsers. I've also checked surf speed using numion.com, which show bandwidth and surfing speed by refreshing few random pages and again on two arch installations the latency is poor, but on winXP box its ok. Recently I was plaing with ulimit on Debian router which i set from 1024 concurrent connections per process to 35000, because my torrent was geting low performance and changed the same limit on my arch box to unlimited, but I haven't touched arch laptop. Oh, and I use Kde 4.3 stable from arch repos on both box.
I'm looking for any advice of what might be the problem.
And of course the obvious like restarting (whatever arch, debian) machine and modem provider and whatever not helping.
Just to clarify, my max speed is ok, so when downloading big files or pacman upgrade the speed reach its limits (of course by "speed" i mean bandwidth).

Last edited by jabol (2009-09-19 15:22:28)

#2 2009-09-19 15:22:04

jabol

Re: [SOLVED]Network latency problem

The problem was in dhcp server configuration. there was line where default domain was example.org. When dpcp client requested ip in /etc/resolv.conf there was a line search example.org. When I removed it, it fixed the problem with speed.

#3 2009-09-19 22:54:30

ArchRoland

Hi, I have the same problem, but I can't find the line with example.org to remove. Can you please tell me in which file I have to search? thanks wink

#4 2009-09-20 00:47:13

jabol

I meant it was problem with my dhcp server config on my ROUTER running debian.
chceck on your workstation if You have in /etc/resolv.conf any lines like: search some-domain
If You have, then remove it and check your connection again. If it helps, then its your issue. If not, try disabling ipv6.
If You have linuix on router in dhcpd.conf find:
option domain-name "example.org";
and comment it out (or delete). Restart dhcp server and check out your latency.
Also You may want to check if Your ISP's dns servers are ok, by trying opendns servers.

Board footer