You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-30 04:50:26

M177ER

[solved] Home network questions

I have an old desktop running Arch (Desktop 2 below) that I am interested in using as a server to back up pictures and important files. I need to setup a home network but I have no idea how as I've never done it before. The computers I have are:

Desktop 1 - Dualboot (2 hard drives) Windows XP / Arch - wired connection to router
Desktop 2 - Arch - wired connection to router - I don't have a montior for this but it sits under the desk beside Desktop 1 and can be hooked to a monitor if need be.
Laptop - Arch - wireless

I would like to:
A) On Desktop 1
i) move files between the 2 dualboot hard drives no matter which OS I am running. While in Arch I have ntfs-3g which works great. I don't currently have a way to read write to the Arch hd while in Windows but I have found the "Ext2 Installable File System For Windows" http://www.fs-driver.org/ which looks to do exactly what I want.

ii) read and write files to Desktop 2 for backup purposes

B) On Destop 2
i) read and write files to Desktop 1 no matter which OS is running to either hd (if possible)

C) On Laptop
i) read and write files on Destop 1 no matter which OS is running and on either hd

ii) read and write files on Destop 2

Note: Having the desktops manipulate files on the laptop would be nice but not essential.

I need to know how to make this all happen. I think I need SAMBA on Desktop 2 but will it matter which OS desktop 1 is running? What do I need to setup on Windows?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by M177ER (2009-10-10 02:01:05)

#2 2009-09-30 05:29:14

stryder

Re: [solved] Home network questions

The moment you require "no matter which OS is running" and one of those OS is windows, then you need to configure windows so that it can share whatever you want it to share. You probably need to partition the arch HDs so as to have a data partition which windows can access and share. 12 gigs for arch should be enough. Since you are happy with ntfs-3g, I guess formatting to ntfs would do (I use vfat. I don't think using windows to access linux-fs and then share is a good idea. ). And yes, samba is probably the wisest choice for arch to share with windows. You also need to set up samba in desktop 1-arch. It is also easy to set up samba on your laptop to share. The important thing is to work out how you want to work, where you want your data to be, how will you backup your data, then set up the systems. You will probably make desktop 1 the center of your network (all data exist there) and desktop 2 a backup computer. HTH.

#3 2009-10-10 01:59:12

M177ER

Re: [solved] Home network questions

Thanks stryder.

I was able to get this somewhat setup. Using the fs-driver I am able to access the Arch HD while in Windows and I am sharing my home folder in the network. While in Arch on the main desktop I have the Windows HD automounting with fstab and by running Samba I can get the files that I want from either OS.

I also have Samba running on my laptop and get access the shares from within either OS on the main desktop.

Unfortunately my old desktop that I was going to use as the backup server won't POST. I've taken the HD out and with an external USB HD enclosure this will be my means of backup.

Board footer