You are not logged in.

#26 2009-10-06 05:40:49

MattSmith

Re: Opinion: Best Netbook WM?

+1 to what moose jaw said, wmii is the one for me, mostly because I'm lazy as well, and the wmiirc file is pretty strait forward to configure.

Also i would like to say I'm on a 15 inch lappy so installing a tiling WM wasn't necessary for screen space, but I recently tried to move back to a float WM and couldn't do it. It felt slower and I hated lifting my hand to the mouse to start programs ... yea im that lazy.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#27 2009-10-06 21:50:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

After trying out a bunch of them, stick to the one that you like best. A new WM takes time to learn, all the more so, if its a tiling WM, what with a huge number of shortcut keys to remember. And if you are coming from a floating WM, its also a bit of a learning curve and getting used to.

I tried many WMs before settling with musca.

I  tried them all alphabetically starting with awesome and ending with xmonad.

Again, see which ones you like and stick to it.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#28 2009-10-09 03:45:10

drostin77

Looks like this is pretty wrapped up, but for what its worth xmonad is keeping me happy on me 1000he.  I think anthing that a) Tiles, b) doesnt waste memory or make powertop angry, and c) takes up as little as possible of your precious precious screen space is good for netbooks.  If you've got those 3 things going its just personal preference.

I liked dwm, and awesome but settled on Xmonad b/c uh... I tried it last and didn't wanna configure anymore?

#29 2009-12-29 13:39:04

aymara
Website

Well, I tried lots of different things on my netbook.

If you're not a "power user" i will recommend to use gnome. It takes just a bit of time to configure it to a better use of the screen, and you will have all you need in a fresh install.

On the other hand, you maybe want to try with Compiz as a stand alone WM. I've tryed it and it was really nice on the small screen: no panels, just windows, with eye candy and usefull plugins like expose or scale to create an big space sensation.

I've tryed with moblin interface aswell but it was not so usable.

maybe you could try kde-plasma-netbook??

http://archlinux.me/aymara/ ----> Newbie forever...  ¬¬

#30 2009-12-29 13:51:50

SoleSoul

+1 wmii
In my experience, the easiest to use because of the sane defaults. no need to configure if you don't want to.
I'm using it now on my laptop as the first everyday use tiling wm. Tried xmonad, dwm and a few others.

#31 2009-12-29 14:45:23

madalu

Openbox. Just create a bunch of decent shortcuts for moving and maximizing windows.

I usually end up maximizing two applications (emacs and firefox) and using alt-tab to move between them.

[edit]
Wow - I just realized I already replied to this thread a while ago. That's quite sad.

Last edited by madalu (2009-12-29 14:48:21)

Board footer