You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-09 04:51:06

linuxguy

[SOLVED]nm-applet doesnt load

hi i have just installed arch linux and this seems really cool.  i like it a lot (i still have a LOT of work to do to make it all the way i want) and im still gonna have to do a LOT of reading before im an expert at pacman and AUR amoung other things.

i just installed nm-applet bcause i want to connect to wireless networks but it fails to run.

in my gnome startup list i have nm-applet --sm-disable

i can connect manually in the terminal by using iwconfig.  this wont help me when i am at the university though since we have an 802.1x system (doesnt ever work great with linux by my expirience with different distros. nm-applet version .66 worked pretty well if i remember correctly though).

anyway how can i get nm-applet to work?

i tried to ask for help in the IRC but i got this statement

Please register with services and use the IDENTIFY command (/msg nickserv help) to speak in this channel

ill have to google that in the morning and figure out what needs to be done for that; im just too sleepy for it now wink

thanks.

Last edited by linuxguy (2009-10-09 15:45:42)

#2 2009-10-09 05:05:35

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]nm-applet doesnt load

are you open to other applications? I have always found wicd to be the best one available to connect to wireless networks.

you can search the repositories for wicd using the search flags in pacman and install it.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-10-09 15:36:46

linuxguy

ok someone sent me a pm and said i needed to add networkmanger to my deamons list.  that seems to have worked for now. 

i am interested in trying wicd to see if it works better with the 802.1x network at the university. 

this is kinda a weird story:

i installed wicd.  there is a menu for it in applications.  i clicked on it and it complains about not being root (shouldnt it run the graphical su prompt? actually better yet i shouldnt need to be root to use it).  well anyway i tried to remove it and reboot and my keyboard and mouse would no longer work in gdm so i couldnt log in.  weird.  i started it up again in single user mode and reinstalled wicd and then the system worked fine again.  i have no idea how that happened.  still interested in giving wicd a chance.  i am a noob at arch but that sure didnt work in a way i would expect wink

EDIT: wicd loads up if i log in as root. btw regular user gets errors pertaining to not being root.

EDIT: oh never mind i needed to add myself to the network group. boy im silly.  i guess ill have to do some real world testing next time i go to the university to see which one works better. btw if anyone is searching this check out this wiki post http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd

EDIT: marked this as solved. thanks for the help.

Last edited by linuxguy (2009-10-09 15:46:14)

#4 2009-10-10 01:00:48

chender
Website

As an addendum to this story i would add that wicd is rock solid compared to nm-applet.  For me it has not missed whereas i cannot say that for nm-applet when i was using ubuntu.  one trick with wicd is

wicd-client -n

this will bring up the client if you need to see it, which is rare btw.

--
thinkpad X60s [t400s coming soon] | archlinux i686 | xmonad | dmenu |

Board footer