You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-11 04:22:33

mibadt

Help establish krdc to remote PC behind router

Hi,
Next week my daughter moves to another city, and expects me to continue being her sys admin.
I was thinking about using VNC /krdc yet I've NEVER used any of these so far, thus a detailed howto for the network detailed below would be advisable. I'm especially unclear how I get through the emote router.

Best Regards,
Michael Badt

Local (my) configuration:
Fully updated 32b Arch with KDE 4.3.2 connected via eth0 to a local 192.168.x.x network also containing an Edimax 6204 router and ADSL modem. Both my PC and the router run firewalls. Router provides DHCP services.

Remote (my daughter) configuration:
Dual boot -Linux Mint Gloria (latest, gnome based) /XP) also connected to a (different) local 192.168.5.y network also containing: 2 more XP PCs, unknown cable router and modem. Router provides DHCP services. The Mint PC also runs a local firewall, Yet I don't know about her router running a firewall.

When my daughter needs my help she can:
1. Boot her PC using Knoppix if helpful or stay with Linux Mint
2. Tell me her LAN IP address (e.g. 192.168.5.23)
3. Shut down other PCs on her LAN

Best regards,
Michael Badt

#2 2009-10-11 17:49:34

ralvez
Website

Re: Help establish krdc to remote PC behind router

mibadt,

Either of the programs you mentioned should work.
The simplest way to work this out is that she sends you an invitation (when she needs help) using Desktop Shearing. That way the information you need is mailed to you.
Her private address (192.168.5.93) is of no use to you, you cannot access it directly so you will have to use her public address in other words the address in her Internet Modem (or router).
Also she will have to allow your address to access her modem/router through the firewall; and again it is not your private address but your public address that she has to allow.
With that in place you should be able to connect just fine.

Hope this helps.

R.

#3 2009-10-12 04:28:44

mibadt

Re: Help establish krdc to remote PC behind router

Thanks, I'll try.

Michael Badt

Best regards,
Michael Badt

Board footer