You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-23 18:20:53

leftylink

Wireless card "stuck" on a WPA network?

Interesting problem: Whenever I connect to a network that uses WPA encryption, I am completely unable to switch wireless networks unless I restart the computer.

I'm using wicd to manage my network stuff (I might consider switching back to good-ol' netcfg if I get around to creating the right profile for this WPA network, but I'll consider this later.)

I can switch from an unencrypted network to a WPA encrypted network with no problems, but if I'm on the WPA network and try to switch to any other network (encrypted or unencrypted), wicd displays "(Name of old network): Validating authentication", as if it thought I was still connected to the old network. That will, of course, fail because I am not on the old network, I'm on a different one! So I'm forced to stay with the old network.

My network card is the very crappy Broadcom card:
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
I am using broadcom-wl taken from the AUR; the module is named wl.

Flipping the wireless switch on and off doesn't work. Neither does rmmod wl and then modprobe wl.

Another interesting thing I found: I am on a WPA network right now, and iwconfig shows this:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11  Nickname:""
          Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Link Quality:4  Signal level:196  Noise level:166
          Rx invalid nwid:0  invalid crypt:6  invalid misc:0
Which is strange, because I definitely should be associated, shouldn't I?

Any tips as to why this is happening, and how to get it so that I can switch networks freely again would be great.

Last edited by leftylink (2009-10-23 18:22:46)

#2 2009-10-27 13:44:32

ogronom

Re: Wireless card "stuck" on a WPA network?

I have a similar issue. The only difference is that I don't need to reboot. Wicd stop, than reload driver (rmmod wl+modprobe wl), than wicd start. This works for me.

I think it's a mainstream bug (hard to say in what drivers or wpa_supplicant). I don't have time right now to dig where is the problem since this workaround works for me.

#3 2009-10-27 20:40:18

leftylink

Partially solved.
Went back to netcfg and tried switching from network to network, and noticed that dhcp stuff was giving me a NAK. Turns out dhcpcd was attempting to re-lease the IP it was using previously, and one of the networks didn't like it. Adding a line reading "release" to /etc/dhcpcd.conf has fixed the problem.
However! wicd still gets stuck on the network, so I don't know why. netcfg will suffice for the time being until I figure out how to get wicd un-stuck.

#4 2009-12-05 10:30:33

bstriker

I had a similar problem with my ipw2200 wireless. I had to install the firmware in addition to the regular module. Make sure to check out http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wir … up#BCM43XX

Board footer