You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-28 04:21:30

Mr Pink57

Loosing internet connection constantly

So I am having this very weird issue.

It seems my modem or router die about every hour. I am using a Linksys WRT54G v5 w/ DD-WRT installed and at my old house this thing ran solid never had to restart it always a solid connection everywhere. Well at this new place it seems that either the modem (brand new swapped out two days ago) or my router keep loosing connection even my wired connections not just the wireless. What I will have to do is unplug the modem for about 10 seconds then plug back in and thing sometimes return to normal for another hour. This issue effects all computers in the house (2 laptops and 1 desktop).  What I have also noticed is my router keeps broadcasting and I can connect to it thru it's IP address fine wired or wireless.

Things I have tried:
Swapped modem
Tried another router
Changed wireless channels

My security is WPA2-Personal and all my hardware is compatable with this securty and it broadcasts on B and G.

So any help would be great on this.

EDIT: other router I tried was a D-Link 4300 gaming router with the same results.

pink

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Diplomacy without force is like music without instruments.

#2 2009-10-28 09:03:29

Nezmer
Website

Re: Loosing internet connection constantly

Are you sure the router doesn't lose power ? Maybe electricity is the problem .

English is not my native language .

#3 2009-11-06 19:43:29

jeff story
Website

DSL or cable modem?

I had an issue with my ADSL modem, router and or ISP updating my WAN IP via DHCP too frequently. Started out never updated unless I reset my router and eventually got to where it was updating every 15 to 30 min!!!

I tracked the problem down to my home's phone line had gotten chewed on by a little critter.....and that led to bare wires that eventually began to corrode and oxidize, causing  a bad connection for my ADSL service. Phone worked fine and had no symptoms....

I repaired the phone line and all is good now, but took a bit of troubleshooting to find the problem. The phone line was definitely not my first thought for the problem.

Check out my website for info on the Arch Linux Installer

#4 2009-11-06 21:52:14

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps if you have adsl there is a device connected to the phone line which has no filter installed...........

Edit:  My adsl originally connected by Verizon was incorrectly connected (over my abjection).

The phone lines to my phones all came together at the eaves but the technician didn't think it made a difference!

They came back a month later and followed my info to find that they needed to install a new line to my modem from the eaves!

In the interim I had the same problem you have with drop-outs when the upstairs phones were used.

Inspect your phones and answering machines for filters.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2009-11-06 21:57:24)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer