You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-29 15:44:34

LeoAtFarm

Hickups in sound over network

Hi all,

On my Arch laptop I use VLC in Openbox to play back music from a remote windows XP share over my wireless network. This works fine as long as I play one song at a time. However, when I choose a directory (i.e. an entire album, as is my preference), VLC plays the music with 'hickups', short gaps in the sound, roughly every 10 seconds. I'm guessing this has something to do with keeping track of the directory content. It seems to be choking on something...
Does anyone know of a solution for this?

Laptop is Toshiba S1800, sound card ALI-5451 with Asahi Kasei AK-4543 chipset from Silicon Lab Si-3036, 8 and I use a Trident sound driver

Thanks,
Leo

[EDIT] I tried it again with a wired connection and now it works fine with complete albums. I guess I am just expecting too much from a wireless connection on an old laptop. It is ironic, though, because I had hoped that Arch would be a solution for using an old laptop as a jukebox. Funny thing is, that when running XP on it with a wireless setup and winamp, sound comes through without problems, but this setup takes forever to boot, winamp loads slow, browsing is slow, but once I am there, sound is great!  There seems to be a trade-off that I don't understand. Arch boots fast, vlc browses fast, but then the same wireless throughput is slower. Assuming that the wireless network is delivering the same speed in both cases, what can be causing the bottleneck ?

Leo

Last edited by LeoAtFarm (2009-10-29 21:43:48)

#2 2009-10-31 16:06:59

MadTux

Re: Hickups in sound over network

Did you try to disable IPv6?
Also, can you verify that throughput is really the same or at least comparable. Keep in mind that Windows uses proprietary drivers, which are probably not the same as the one Arch uses.

#3 2009-11-02 16:57:26

LeoAtFarm

Re: Hickups in sound over network

Yes, it already was disabled.. I've been too busy to look into it further, at the moment, but thanks for the tip anyway!

Board footer