You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-21 02:38:16

k_ibou

Wireless setup [SOLVED]

Hi everyone, I'm setting up my wireless conection on a sony vaio VGN-S360 but I'm a little bit lost sad
I'm installed the module ipw2200-fw (my wireless device is a Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG [Calexico2]) and follow the wiki guide. The thing is that I'm recieving this:

eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: Not-Associated   
          Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=8/0 
          Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

I think that there are two problems, that unassocieated thing and the Acces Point: Not-Associated. I also add to my rc.conf the eth1 interface as a dhcp (eth1="dhcp")
I read this http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=78419 but I'm trying to set it up with netcfg so that won't help me a lot.

Another thing is that when I did iwlist scan it show me for eth1 "No scan result" I know that near of my house there is a wireless conection I think that at least I can see it or detected.

thanks!!!!

Last edited by k_ibou (2010-10-20 14:17:22)

#2 2009-11-21 04:21:29

Trent

Re: Wireless setup [SOLVED]

k_ibou wrote:

I think that there are two problems, that unassocieated thing and the Acces Point: Not-Associated.

Neither of those is symptomatic of a problem.  You simply haven't connected to a network yet, so your wireless device is not associated with any access point.

How you will do that exactly depends on how the wireless network is secured.  If it's unsecured, it (should be) as simple as associating with an access point ("iwconfig eth0 ap some_address_here", where some_address_here is given by iwlist scan) and running DHCP ("dhcpcd eth0").  If you use static keys, you can set those with iwconfig as well.  If it's a WPA secured network, you need to figure out how to make wpa_supplicant work with it, which is a separate study in and of itself.

Another thing is that when I did iwlist scan it show me for eth1 "No scan result" I know that near of my house there is a wireless conection I think that at least I can see it or detected.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but are you sure your wireless card should be able to pick it up with at least 50% signal strength?

Your first step is to verify that the wireless network you're connecting to is actually available where you are.  If you're sitting next to the access point and still can't iwlist scan it, then I can't help you any further.  Once you can pick it up, determine what encryption (if any) is being used, and work from there.

I probably haven't helped much directly, but I hope I've shown you how to start solving whatever your problem is.

#3 2009-11-21 08:41:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

Have you read the Wireless Setup and Network Profiles wiki pages?

#4 2009-11-21 16:31:54

k_ibou

yes I did it. I'm gonna look it again. Thanks for the answer Trent now is more clear. I'm gonna try with university wireless network.

#5 2010-10-20 14:23:08

k_ibou

almost a year later.... sorry.

I made my homework and I read the wiki.... so I could got connected to the wifi network smile the bad thing is that my laptop dies a month later sad

Board footer