You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-03 21:51:24

davidlondonuk

[SOLVED] freenx not working with firewall

Hi,

I have freenx server on a PC running arch and the nxclient on  a laptop running arch. If I turn off firehol firewall on the PC then I can start a remote session from the laptop, if the firewall is on then it blocks the connection and it times out.

Firehol has a sever setting for freenx in the firehol config file, you just use the line:

server "ssh nxserver" accept

which opens port 22 and port 5000-5200.

The iptables log on the PC has, as part of the firehol log entry spt=61806 dpt=22, do I need to some type of port forwarding? What really puzzles me is that all sessions are encrypted so this should just work by allowing ssh in firehol.

Is anybody else using freenx for remote sessions with nx server behind a firewall?

Thanks for any help.

----------------------------------------

I installed arno-iptables-firewall on the arch PC from AUR and removed firehol. Configured the firewall.conf file and allowed tcp ports "22 5000:5200" for sshd and freenx -not sure if you really need the range but freenx does require 5000 open.

Now freenx works ok with the arno firewall on. Firehol is a really good firewall and easy to setup but seemed to have problems with freenx. On the other hand, arno-iptables-firewall has problems with nfs server, whereas firehol works perfectly.

Anyone know how to get arno to work with NFS?

Last edited by davidlondonuk (2009-12-04 17:19:32)

Board footer