You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-08 19:35:43

skwo

NFS vs SSHFS

Hello.
I got two computers that both runs linux (arch). One of them can be classified as "user-station" and the other as "server". I would like to develop in PHP but instead of creating a local copy of the files on my user-station, and then moving them with sftp/ftp or something else to the server, I would like to directly save files on the server. I was thinking about using NFS, but I also got suggestion for SSHFS.
There is one problem I tough about:
The remote web folder is owned by root hence I would need to either run sudo before any operation on the files or finding some other solution (I might think about per-user-web-folder for apache [i.e. localhost/~username]). I need the *FS to handle it in some way or to find workout.

Some limitations:
* For now the webserver will be accessed only locally, but there might be a need to open it to specific public clients, hence I need the *FS to handle allow and deny on application level (example: allow 80.90.100.200 to access the www root folder but deny from him the mount option).

Thats it I think.
Thanks for help smile

Last edited by skwo (2009-12-08 19:38:01)

ArchLinux x86_64 on Dell Latitude E5410

#2 2009-12-08 20:17:50

tavianator
Website

Re: NFS vs SSHFS

I don't know about NFS, but with sshfs you can do "sshfs root@<host>:<www> <mountpoint> -o uid=<your uid>,gid=<your gid>".  In terms of the need to open it up to specific clients, that should be handled by your web server's firewall, apache settings, and ssh config.

Board footer