You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-09 10:40:00

tsr-nc

using privoxy all the time and toggling tor on and off

is this possible. i like the features privoxy provides me. I use tor for some things but most of the time not. what would be the best way to toggle tor on and off but still have all traffic go through privoxy. perhaps different privoxy config files for with and without tor but then i would have to reload privoxy, but that may be my best option. This would require root privliges on the end users side however and if a more elegant solution exist i would like to hear it.

#2 2009-12-09 14:59:07

denton

Re: using privoxy all the time and toggling tor on and off

You can have either different privoxy configs (awkward) like you mentioned. This doesn't need restarting privoxy after every modification, since privoxy reads it automatically... or you can route specific sites:

Instead of this:
forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .
Do this:
forward-socks4a .google.com localhost:9050 .
Or you can whitelist:
forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .
forward-socks4a .google.com .

If you would like to edit rules comfortably, like with NoScript, enable the browser editor in /etc/privoxy/config:
enable-edit-actions 1

And two more: be sure to check out /etc/privoxy/*filter and *action. These have way more advanced methods of black/whitelisting. Also, you can run privoxy as unpriviledged and manage multiple privoxy instances coupled with multiple browser ones (this is very sensible):
privoxy --user $USER.$GROUP --pidfile ~/.privoxy.pid ~/.privoxyrc"

Last edited by denton (2009-12-09 22:38:06)

Board footer