You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-09 19:55:28

Carlwill
Website

Trying To Install Webmail

I am trying to install RoundCube webmail application on my Arch Linux LAMP server.

I have everything installed and running fine as far as I can tell. Postfix and Dovecot work perfect using my Thunderbird client but I need to access the email server from home.
I have an index.html page configured in /srv/http that I can access from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. I finally installed PHP and MySQL. I tested PHP from Apache and it appears to be working great. I started MySQL and locked down the root user fro MySQL and created a generic user and database for 'RoundCube'. Now when I go to the RoundCube web installer, it does not detect any running databases on my server. I don't understand why? I followed the directions perfectly and when I try the same thing on a CentOS server, it works.

Here is the screenshot showing the installer detecting PHP but not MySQL. If MySQL is running, why would this not be detected...???

./

#2 2009-12-09 20:49:24

lifanov

Re: Trying To Install Webmail

Maybe that's not the response you are looking for, but have you tried Squirrelmail?
It is easy to setup and has every feature one can think of through its plugin system.

#3 2009-12-09 20:51:08

Carlwill
Website

I have tried SM. It looks and feels dated. I am sure it works great and is by far the most mature apps for webmail and Linux but I really like Roundcube and it's feel / features. I would like to understand why this happens on only my Arch machine.

./

#4 2009-12-09 21:19:15

lifanov

I tried to replicate your problem, but I got

(Could be loaded. Please add in php.ini)

instead of

(Not installed)

It is, of course, loaded in php.ini.

If you don't have important MySQL databases, try

pacman -Rnd mysql --noconfirm && pacman -S mysql --noconfirm

I don't know much about RoundCube, but can it use Maildirs?

#5 2009-12-09 21:43:48

wuischke

Roundcube uses IMAP and when the OP uses dovecot, Maildirs are possible. Roundcube is very nice, I use it myself.

Regarding the original question: Is the mysql-extension enabled in php.ini? In my /etc/php/php.ini it looks the following:

[...]
extension=mcrypt.so
extension=mysql.so
extension=mysqli.so
;extension=odbc.so
;extension=openssl.so
extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so
[...]

mcrypt has to be installed with the package php-mcrypt before you can enable it.

#6 2009-12-10 02:05:44

Carlwill
Website

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right directions! I had to un-comment the extensions mentioned above! Everything is working perfect.

./

Board footer