You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-17 12:00:25

scottuss

PXE Boot Problem

Hello everyone!

I've got a PXE boot server running and I can boot my EEE 701 from it without issue, it gets to the installer but then I get asked for the source of the packages. Now, I don't have an Internet connection to the boot server, so that's not an option. I know I can mount something to /src to have the packages show up, but what am I supposed to mount, and where?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: If you're considering "rtfm" or "Google" as a  response as some did on the IRC, don't bother wasting your time to type smile

I mounted a USB stick with all the packages on to /src (I knew that had to be done) but I thought perhaps the installer would have mounted the packages from the tftp server to /src automatically. So now I don't understand the point of the separate installer CD?

Last edited by scottuss (2009-12-17 12:44:55)

#2 2009-12-17 12:54:47

hokasch

Re: PXE Boot Problem

What seperate installer CD?  If you mounted the directory containing the packages from usb to /src, you should be alright. What errors do you get?
I think you may even be able to plug in the pc directly into your router, once booted, and do a net-install.

#3 2009-12-17 12:59:31

scottuss

hokasch wrote:

What seperate installer CD?  If you mounted the directory containing the packages from usb to /src, you should be alright. What errors do you get?
I think you may even be able to plug in the pc directly into your router, once booted, and do a net-install.

I've totally gone around the houses. I just installed Arch on my EEE by booting using PXE and mounting a USB stick with the packages on. I thought the ISO I downloaded was an "all in one" PXE thing but it wasn't. I assumed from my skim reading about this ISO I downloaded that it mounted the packages ready for the EEE PC to use in the installer, but it doesn't do that.

I should have paid better attention!

Never mind! It's all working now smile

PS: The IRC isn't great for help is it? tongue

Last edited by scottuss (2009-12-17 13:00:42)

#4 2009-12-17 13:10:54

hokasch

Hmm, do you mean the one from here? If so, it says "ftp-installation only", but I maybe should have made that more clear. I planned support for mounting packages from the tftp-server later (you need to set up nfs for that), but never picked it up again.
It is stitched together rather imperfectly, I just made it because there was no other way of getting an install on an old laptop.

I've totally gone around the houses

yeah, you could just have booted from an usb-stick, right?

Last edited by hokasch (2009-12-17 13:20:54)

#5 2009-12-17 15:06:22

scottuss

hokasch wrote:

Hmm, do you mean the one from here? If so, it says "ftp-installation only", but I maybe should have made that more clear. I planned support for mounting packages from the tftp-server later (you need to set up nfs for that), but never picked it up again.
It is stitched together rather imperfectly, I just made it because there was no other way of getting an install on an old laptop.

I've totally gone around the houses

yeah, you could just have booted from an usb-stick, right?

Actually no! big_smile I had problems with that (although I've done it before) I got an error: "Boot device didn't show up after 30 seconds" and the workaround(s) at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=77815 didn't help, so I figured I'd try the PXE boot.

Look, I'll be straight, I use Arch on an old box as a testing / development server for odd jobs. I left Arch as a desktop user a long time ago for Ubuntu where things "just work" - I don't have time to fix things constantly breaking on my main desktop. I thought I'd give Arch another go as a desktop OS on my EEE but I don't have the time (or inclination) to mess around with it anymore.

Ubuntu is installing from a USB stick as we speak.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Arch, as a headless, non-important playing around OS, I don't think I'll be using it as a desktop

P.S: Using Ubuntu has NOTHING to do with the skill level of anyone who chooses to use it. I HATE elitism! (rant over!) big_smile

Last edited by scottuss (2009-12-17 15:08:40)

#6 2009-12-17 15:47:49

hokasch

fair enough, I dont mind what OS you do or do not use for whatever purpose.

#7 2009-12-17 16:07:37

scottuss

hokasch wrote:

fair enough, I dont mind what OS you do or do not use for whatever purpose.

big_smile sorry, I didn't mean to rant. Thanks for your replies!

Board footer