You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-31 14:26:34

arm

newbie question :network can't start

i install archlinux in vmware4 workstation on win2003(my network card is sis-900) ,but i found the network can not start.
now how can i solve this problem?
plz don't tell me reinstall!

#2 2003-07-31 14:40:28

Gyroplast
Website

Re: newbie question :network can't start

now how can i solve this problem?

As usual: Gather and share more information, as working crystal balls are quite uncommon these days.
The following link may help you getting help here. Yes, I am completely and utterly serious.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Greets,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#3 2003-07-31 14:48:50

arm

sorry ,my intention is  which network card's module should i use?
and how can i add to modules.conf

#4 2003-07-31 15:01:33

Gyroplast
Website

Aaah, we're getting closer now.

Now if you'd tell us why using the aptly named module "sis900" won't do the job, I or someone else might get close to helping you out. If you simply don't know how to load this module at all, I suggest you read the manpage to "modules.conf", that's what it's there for. In most cases the line "alias eth0 sis900" added to this file will do the trick nicely, and automagically load the module when the eth0 device is somehow accessed, for example during network setup.

No, you don't need to reboot to try that out. After you've made changes to the rc.conf or modules.conf, simply try restarting the networking subsystem only with the command /etc/rc.d/network restart or /etc/rc.d/network start, and have a look at the results with ifconfig, which should display your eth0 device on success. Again, the manpages and documentation are your friend. Check the message log and dmesg if the module loading somehow doesn't work, error messages are dumped there.

Noticed I'm still guessing what your actual problem might be? Refine your question. Guessing costs time I don't really have.

Greets,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#5 2003-08-01 04:07:48

arm

thanks your answer ,it work now!

Board footer