You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 03:40:53

poopship21

vbox0 does not exist

editing /etc/vbox/interfaces as described in the wiki for bridged networking (arch way) doesnt give me vbox0 on boot.  also the generic method outlined subsequently seems to be outdated since there is no "VBoxAddIF" utility in the version that i downloaded from the repo: 3.1.2-2.

any ideas?

#2 2010-01-07 09:35:00

e_tank

Re: vbox0 does not exist

if it helps below is a very basic script which is similar to what i use to get my vbox vm working on my network.  i simply run it as root before starting my vm up for the first time.  i tried once before to integrate what the script does with my network startup scripts but couldn't find a clean/nice way, since i don't use it all that often it hasn't been a major inconvenience for me.

this won't work for a wireless connection, however i think you can get it working by following what's in the arch wiki but using tunctl in place of VBoxTunctl (with different args of course, like the ones in the script below)

# /etc/udev/rules.d/60-vboxdrv.rules has the following line:
#  KERNEL=="tun", OWNER="root", GROUP="vboxusers", MODE="0660"
# or you could just chown root:vboxusers /dev/tun && chmod 660 /dev/tun
user="youruser"
ipaddr="192.168.0.1"
defaultgw="192.168.0.254"

ifconfig eth0 down

tunctl -t tap0 -u $user
brctl addbr br0
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc

brctl addif br0 eth0
ifconfig br0 $ipaddr netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig eth0 up

brctl addif br0 tap0
ifconfig tap0 up

route add default gw $defaultgw

then configure virtualbox to use a bridged adapter and select the tap0 interface that the script created.

#3 2010-01-07 10:21:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: vbox0 does not exist

Have you tried NAT instead of bridged mode? Its easier, overall, no need to create your own interfaces etc.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer