You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-11 18:17:56

Oxyd

Quantum resolver at a public WiFi place

So I tried to connect to a public WiFi today.  I set up the wireless link, ran dhcpclient, got an IP of 192.168.1.103, with resolver and default gateway at 192.168.1.1.  Then I did a "ping google.com" and sure enough, I got ping replies.  So far so good.  Then I opened up Chromium, entered google.com, and got a message that the server might be moved temporarily or permanentely.  I tried other pages, and still the same thing kept showing up, even though I could ping them just fine.  Pidgin didn't want to connect either.  So I went back to the terminal, opened Links, and got Google's webpage in no time.

I tried ifconfig down/up a few times, re-running dhclient, but to no avail.  I rebooted the machine and tried again, this time with dhcpcd instead of dhclient -- still no luck.  I thought the resolver at 192.168.1.1 might be hosed, so I thought I'd install bind using pacman, as it seemed that CLI apps could resolve just fine -- alas, pacman -S bind errored with "transient resolver failure" while trying to resolve ftp.sh.cvut.cz, my local mirror.  And yet, when I opened "links ftp://ftp.sh.cvut.cz", I could browse the FTP directory with no indication of there being anything wrong.

So far my best theory is that the resolver got stuck in a quantum superposition of the states Working and Broken.  But my understanding of networking stuff isn't very deep, so I'll be happy to hear other theories on how this could've happened.  Maybe different apps use different means for resolving stuff?  Also it'd be great to know if this can be prevented somehow next time.

#2 2010-01-11 18:56:13

Ramses de Norre

Re: Quantum resolver at a public WiFi place

Probably, the resolver was in an entangled state then and someone else must have already been using graphical browsing, forcing the resolver to be in a no-graphical browsing state for you... It's going to be fun, when quantum mechanics really breaks through wink

#3 2010-01-11 19:07:02

Oxyd

Since pacman was also failing, this implies that there was another Archer in the place.  Yay for Arch! xD

#4 2010-01-11 19:08:35

Ramses de Norre

Or he was using something nearly parallel to the pacman state ket..

Board footer