You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-13 10:32:56

mongrol

netcfg insists on using WPA

Hi folks,
I've got a frustratingly weird problem. My Netbook, with Broadcom 4312 (STA) driver occasionally drops out and crashes my linksys DDWRT router while encrypted with WEP. After the last crash whenever I run netcfg to bring up that profile it insists on using WPA showing the following error.

> WPA Authentication/Association Failed

I've since changed the SSID network to open and removed all encryption. I've made a new network profile from the wireless-open example and it still shows this same error. It insists on trying WPA every time. Is it cached somewhere? Is tehre more logging?

#2 2010-01-13 13:56:49

Profjim

Re: netcfg insists on using WPA

What version of netcfg are you using?

Info on the latest version in testing, including how to debug, is here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Net … evelopment.

I wrote the debugging code, but to be honest I don't remember myself in which versions of netcfg we rolled it out. You can try doing this at the command line and see what happens:

NETCFG_DEBUG="yes" netcfg <rest of your arguments>

It's possible what you're seeing is just a misleading error message. The newer versions of netcfg use wpa_supplicant to handle all association, even if WEP is being used instead of WPA. It's possible that wpa_supplicant is failing and we're just reporting that in a misteading way.

#3 2010-01-13 21:44:35

mongrol

Ah, it looks like I accidentally upgraded to testing while chasing another problem. I've downgraded to core (2.2.1?) and it's now all good again. Thanks.

# NETCFG_DEBUG="yes" netcfg freedom
DEBUG: Loading profile freedom
DEBUG: Configuring interface eth0
:: freedom up                                                                                                                                                     [BUSY] DEBUG: status reported to profile_up as: 
DEBUG: Loading profile freedom
DEBUG: Configuring interface eth0
DEBUG: wireless_up stop_wpa eth0
DEBUG: wireless_up ifup
DEBUG: wireless_up Configuration generated at /tmp/wpa.eth0/wpa.conf
DEBUG: wireless_up start_wpa eth0 /tmp/wpa.eth0/wpa.conf wext 
DEBUG: wireless_up wpa_check

> WPA Authentication/Association Failed 
DEBUG: profile_up connect failed
                                                                                                                                                                  [FAIL] 
[root@scarce mongrol]# sudo pacman -S netcfg
warning: netcfg-2.5.0rc2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling

#4 2010-03-01 20:11:04

Flavious

I have the same problem, SECURITY="none", netcfg 2.5.4 which is now in core.

CONNECTION="wireless"
DESCRIPTION="Heimnetz"
INTERFACE="wlan0"
ESSID="WLAN"
SECURITY="none"
IP="dhcp"
GATEWAY="192.168.2.1"

#5 2010-03-01 21:30:01

bladesonfire
Website

I am also having this problem with with SECURITY='none' or 'wep' on 2.5.4. I have an Intel WiFi Link 5100. Debug shows the same as mongrol's output (I would show mine, but I'm posting from another computer), except I'm attempting to connect with wlan0. A WPA profile works while I'm at home.

#6 2010-03-01 22:35:22

bladesonfire
Website

Sorry for the double-post. I had forgotten that this particular connection required the computer to be in ad-hoc mode. I'm using the PRE_UP method found on the wiki page and the message is the same (debug does not show PRE_UP commands being run). I can manually perform these steps to get a working connection:

ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid myessid
dhcpcd wlan0
ping -c4 google.com

#7 2010-04-02 23:03:34

Melancholy_Dream

I've solved this problem by changing CONNECTION from "wireless" to "ethernet" and delegating configuration process to PRE_UP tongue
This is my config:

CONNECTION="ethernet"
DESCRIPTION="A wireless Viko Network configuration"

INTERFACE=wlan0

IP="static"
IFOPTS="192.169.222.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.169.222.255"

DNS1=83.234.208.10
DNS2=195.161.112.12

PRE_UP="ifconfig wlan0 down; iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid 'VikoNET' key off"
POST_UP="scripts/VikoNET up"    # starting OpenVPN tunnel
PRE_DOWN="scripts/VikoNET down" # stopping OpenVPN tunnel

I also have another "ethernet" connection, but due to different interfaces, they are not interfering each other. Works perfect for me smile

#8 2010-12-24 17:13:17

manouchk

Same problem here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=869940

Thank you Melancholy_Dream for your suggestion. I suspect that it won't work with the net-auto-wireless Deamon.

Board footer