You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-16 07:45:50

yvonney

using 'xfe' for the time being-maybe back to pcmanfm when rewrite done

UPDATE COMMENT: tried pcmanfm-git just out in AUR. (pcmanfm2)
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33601
Seemed not usable quite on my system. Staying with xfe and getting comfortable with it.

----- original post beow -----

Looks to me like perhaps xfe, recently updated in aur to new version will handle graphical file management nicely. May go back to pcmanfm when complete rewrite version is out.
http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/
Have recently looked for something other than pcmanfm to no avail, then stumbled on xfe thanks to ARCH homepage updates list.

Going to have to check if xfe really does only need the fox library as it's only dependency or if it needs all the usual stuff pcmanfm needs as well. I think I love the xfe features.

Checked: xfe has much less needed than pcmanfm and rox-filer. xfe seems to have lots of welcome feature surprises. drag and drop is great between two panes, hover gives lots of info, and the permissions changing is straight-forward and understandable by someone like me who doesn't have full understanding of some fundamentals yet.
This will be good I hope when I need a graphical file manager.

Last edited by yvonney (2010-01-16 10:13:46)

#2 2010-01-16 16:13:16

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: using 'xfe' for the time being-maybe back to pcmanfm when rewrite done

recently I have noticed that pcmanfm gave me problems when i tried to mount my external thru it.

I had gone to CLI for all my file-management....but that instance pcmanfm was up and running so I tried mounting the external, and it gave me 3 pop up error dialogs. I was going to post about it, but then I almost never use pcmanfm, so I never bothered.

The regular functions like navigating/deleting etc work well in pcmanfm. Its been a while since pcmanfm has been updated or its bugs been addressed. I might move to xfe as well.

Check this out :

╔═[10:37]═[inxs @ arch]
╚═══===═══[~]>> pacin xfe
Password: 
--> Reflecting... retrieved 0 mirrors.
:: The following packages will be downloaded:
   [extra]
     fox
   [community]
     xfe

:: Number of Packages:                       2
:: Total Download Size:                7.95 MB
:: Binary Package Install Size:       25.33 MB

:: Proceed with download? [Y/n] n

╔═[11:13]═[inxs @ arch]
╚═══===═══[~]>> pacout pcmanfm
--> Switching to pacman: /usr/bin/pacman-color -R -n -s pcmanfm
checking dependencies...

Remove (1): pcmanfm-0.5.2-1  

Total Removed Size:   2.12 MB

Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] n

xfe has a 25.33MB  install size whereas pcmanfm has 2.12MB

Last edited by Inxsible (2010-01-16 16:15:36)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2010-01-16 16:35:50

pogeymanz

I stopped using XFE just because it used so much CPU to draw thumbnails.

#4 2010-01-16 18:46:27

yvonney

all interesting, thanks.
there's a bunch of companion helpers in xfe, text editor etc. (can be substituted of course and probably compiled without even)

I guess it probably, or maybe works out about the same with size  due to pcmanfm having more dependencies. If the dependencies are already installed they won't show up in pacman obviously.

I would much rather not need the hand holding double check ability of a graphical file manager. That's certain the goal, not to need one.

I though that my search would turn up empty with only rox-filer or pcmanfm being of interest.

xfe was updated very recently after a long time at earlier version of course.

Last edited by yvonney (2010-01-16 23:04:26)

Board footer