You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-18 16:21:03

sfabius

Help/suggestion with University VPN/firewall

This is an issue that is ongoing with my IT guys at the University where I work. (They've done their best, BTW, thanks guys!)

Right now, I have a machine that has an 'open' static IP address to the world. I frequently ssh in and most importantly sync home/laptop files throught unision.

The university has mandated that everything be put behind a firewall, which makes it impossible for me to ssh to my machine. They are using Juniper networks, which apparently doesn't play nicely with linux (why they chose this one I don't know). So far, they've let me keep my setup because I clearly have a more secure machine than even the firewalled ones that a lot of my colleagues have.

But at some point, in the manner of the corporate world they are apparently trying to emulate, they will want to wall me off. I'm looking for suggestions for a solution. They can be creative, but ideally they somehow bypass the firewall. I'd like to keep using unison. I am trying out SpiderOak but it takes forever to sync and not yet totally reliable (but I like the security they have).

Board footer