You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-26 03:28:40

Gumper

[Solved] Rkhunter says that /usr/bin/rkhunter has been replaced.

Upon running rkhunter I'm getting the message "Warning: The command ' /usr/bin/rkhunter' has been replaced and is not a script: /usr/bin/rkhunter: a /bin/sh script text executable"

Does this mean that my system has been comprimised? I'm used to getting warnings about file properties changing but they are always attributed to package upgrades. I've never seen this one before and I'm a bit worried now.

Did anyone else get this message?

Edit: One other piece of information. If I check the above mentioned file, Dolphin tells me that the file type is "unknown".

Last edited by Gumper (2010-01-27 02:01:31)

Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
Let us shine the light of Jesus in the darkest night
May the powers of darkness tremble as our praises rise .... Casting Crowns-Until The Whole World Hears.

#2 2010-01-26 14:50:17

grey

Re: [Solved] Rkhunter says that /usr/bin/rkhunter has been replaced.

You could build rkhunter again and then do a diff.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2010-01-27 02:00:32

Gumper

Re: [Solved] Rkhunter says that /usr/bin/rkhunter has been replaced.

grey wrote:

You could build rkhunter again and then do a diff.

Actually I was able to figure out what's causing this with the help of the rkhunter-users mailing list. The problem showed up because of the recent upgrade of 'file' from version 5.03 to 5.04. Downgrading 'file' to 5.03 will take care of the problem.

I also received a modified 'rkhunter' file from one of the developers of rkhunter that when used will also allow rkhunter to work with 'file' 5.04.

Let us shine the light of Jesus in the darkest night
May the powers of darkness tremble as our praises rise .... Casting Crowns-Until The Whole World Hears.

Board footer