You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-15 18:12:41

bvbellomo

Expectations from new users

I haven't installed arch yet, but I am impressed with the arch way - "trying to hide the complexities of a system actually results in an even more complex system".

Anyhow, I am a good developer, but a full time employee and serious PhD student, so I do not have much time to help.  I felt a little better about it with Ubuntu, since it is such a large community, but do feel somewhat guilty with an open source project that is this much work, where I definitely will be taking advantage of the forums to post my own problems.

Is this okay - is everyone welcome here, or with such a small distro, is everyone expected to invest something?

#2 2010-02-15 18:28:19

foutrelis
Developer
Website

Re: Expectations from new users

If you don't require hand-holding and promise to search on the web and the Arch wiki for solutions to any problems or questions you might have before posting them on the forums, you should be fine. Some basic competency is expected on your part, but people are generally very helpful and friendly here if you hit a roadblock.

#3 2010-02-15 18:28:28

Runiq

You're not expected to invest anything. That being said, the term "investing something" is fairly broad and can be applied to reporting bugs, translating wiki pages, helping other new users with simple (or increasingly complex) problems, adopting packages in the AUR, and generally taking part in the community.

It's as difficult and time-consuming as you make it smile

#4 2010-02-15 18:39:57

fsckd
Forum Fellow

The devs are paid in beer. Someone has to make that beer.

But seriously, Arch isn't exactly a "small" distro. I have enough trouble trying to find ways to help, so I just harass people in here.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#5 2010-02-15 18:45:30

ozar

bvbellomo wrote:

is everyone expected to invest something?

Welcome to the forums!

You aren't expected to invest anything, but you are expected to apply yourself. If you can do that, you should find yourself enjoying Arch.  Hope it works out well for you.

oz

#6 2010-02-15 18:55:01

axel668

Arch has an excellent Wiki (probably the best on the web), and a lot of answers already posted in the Forums, so you can get a LONG way without posting much questions. But even if you do, the people in the forums are very nice and helpful, even if you can't contribute back to the project and are "only" a user (which in fact sets Arch apart from most other advanced distributions).

So don't be shy and welcome to Arch smile

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#7 2010-02-15 19:21:57

loafer

In the 12 months I have used Arch I have had to ask very few questions on the forums.  I always find that a forum search, google or the Wiki already answer the question.  In that time we have had some very major updates to xorg, gnome and various libraries.  All of these have gone very well and any issues have been solved quickly and very professionally.

I try to contribute by answering questions on the forums when I can and intend to start contributing to the Wiki when I have a bit more time.

Last edited by loafer (2010-02-15 19:26:19)

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#8 2010-02-15 19:50:08

wesley_of_course

Runiq wrote:

You're not expected to invest anything. That being said, the term "investing something" is fairly broad and can be applied to reporting bugs, translating wiki pages, helping other new users with simple (or increasingly complex) problems, adopting packages in the AUR, and generally taking part in the community.

It's as difficult and time-consuming as you make it smile

Very well put .

#9 2010-02-15 23:15:04

Allan
Pacman
Website

fsckd wrote:

I am still waiting for any beer type remunerations...

#10 2010-02-16 00:53:05

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

axel668 wrote:

Arch has an excellent Wiki (probably the best on the web), and a lot of answers already posted in the Forums, so you can get a LONG way without posting much questions.

What he said ^.

Welcome to Arch. wink

#11 2010-02-17 05:43:45

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Allan wrote:
fsckd wrote:

Didn't he mention the clause? Only for devs who don't break stuff....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#12 2010-02-17 05:58:10

Peasantoid
Website

You don't need to be productive, but people tend to like you more if you are. tongue

#13 2010-02-17 06:06:55

Allan
Pacman
Website

ngoonee wrote:
Allan wrote:
fsckd wrote:

Didn't he mention the clause? Only for devs who don't break stuff....

sad

#14 2010-02-17 07:42:08

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

ozar wrote:

You aren't expected to invest anything, but you are expected to apply yourself.

Apply yourself to at least *try* and solve your own problems first, don't just come running to forums at the first sign of trouble and expect to have someone hold your hand.... You might get lucky and find someone willing to, but don't count on it wink

Most importantly, just don't be a Help Vampire: http://slash7.com/2006/12/22/vampires/

Have a general read over this will give you a good idea for "how things are done around here" smile
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Forum_Etiquette

Oh, and welcome smile

#15 2010-02-17 08:58:00

stryder

Just the fact that you asked makes me think that you'll be OK here. The only thing I would say is don't throw a tantrum when your question is not answered or noticed. Or that you deserve attention just because you paid attention to some others. Some humility goes a long way here, I think. Either that or some beer for Allan. big_smile

Welcome!

#16 2010-02-17 16:41:49

toxygen

i suggest pinning this thread for all newbies to see, but likely to be redundant with the beginner's guide, etc.

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

Board footer