You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-18 07:18:24

Soupstuffs

Big problem with e100 driver

Y halo thar fellow Archers,

I love this distro. I have it installed on my laptop, my desktop (with three monitors!), my netbook, my 32 gig USB drive, my old, otherwise non-functioning iPod, my kerosene-powered cheese grater, my mom's laptop, my grandparents' computer, and any other device I could get my hands on. So, I got my hands on my wife's mother's computer and I thought it would be a quick and easy install. It uses the e100 driver, which is known as a very well-functioning one out of the box. I forget the exact model, but it's an Intel Pro 100/10 8somethingsomething xx/xx/xx/xx Rev 3. I should've saved the lspci output on a disk, but I didn't. Anyway, udev loaded it and eth0 shows up in ifconfig, but..

iwconfig's output:

lo         no wireless extensions
eth0     no wireless extensions

I couldn't set the essid, scan for networks or anything.

So, I rmmoded e100 and modprobed it back in. I autoloaded it in rc.conf. I tried restarting the network daemon, rebooting, everything imaginable. Still, nothing. So, I tried some other modules. e1000 didn't display eth0 at all. Same with e1000e. I downloaded the tarball of it from sourceforge, both the newest version and the next available one (.17 and .14 I believe). The make file had some strange CFLAGS error so I replaced that with something else in the make file, and it showed another error saying it couldn't find a directory like linux/something.h. Long story short, it's definitely e100 that works but I couldn't replace the one that comes with arch with the one at sourceforge because of makefile problems.

So... I'm sorry I couldn't provide better information. I didn't have anything to save the outputs on and I don't have the computer at hand right now.

I guess I can ndiswrapper it... But I really dislike going that route and e100 is supposed to work well for like 95% of users out-of-the-box.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Justin

#2 2010-02-18 09:22:03

hw-tph

Re: Big problem with e100 driver

It looks like the e100 driver is working already. You have the "eth0: No wireless extensions" line in your iwconfig output.

e100 is the driver for Intel 10/100 Mbit wired Ethernet devices. It has nothing to do with wireless networking.

I would also recommend not installing your favourite OS on any systems you can boot from a disc or a USB memory stick... People have a tendency to get a little touchy when they can't run Quicken or whatever arcane Windows application they use their computers for.

#3 2010-02-18 15:08:35

Soupstuffs

Re: Big problem with e100 driver

LOL.

Wow.

Okay, I'm beyond dumb.

Thanks!

Board footer