You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-16 06:40:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Anyone use funambol? Want to write a PKGBUILD for it

Hi all,

Anyone here uses funambol? Its open-source but distributed in binary. I was thinking it'd be good to have an Arch (AUR) package for it. Of course, having the PKGBUILD simply unpack the binary distribution isn't optimal, was thinking of an /etc/rc.d script + /usr/bin links at least, as well as a 'fix' for the 32-bit included JVM issue.

Anyway, I just found this software yesterday, and don't even have it working (as in syncing properly) yet. Would someone who uses it respond here, so I know what would be needed to make a good package for this?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-03-16 07:13:03

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Anyone use funambol? Want to write a PKGBUILD for it

Doesn't open-source mean that the source is, uhmm, open? It seems you have to jump through various hoops to get access to the code - I've no idea what licence they're using, but it hardly seems to be in the spirit of open-source.

#3 2010-03-16 07:20:30

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

It is open (as in available) for download. Not sure about the hoops, because I haven't tried to get access to the code. I'd class it similarly to VirtualBox actually... eventually should be installed in /opt as well, if I use the method I'm suggesting.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-03-16 08:52:26

jowilkin

The source appears to be available from an svn repo, that doesn't really qualify as making you jump through hoops to me (https://core.forge.funambol.org/source/browse/core/).  The license is AGPLv3.  This is for the community edition, they also have a commercial version which seems to be closed source and have a superset of the features of the community edition.

Last edited by jowilkin (2010-03-16 08:56:34)

#5 2010-03-16 09:13:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

jowilkin - try svn checkout. You need a password.

edit - ngoonee, sorry, this is off-topic, so I'll drop it. Hope you get a good build going. smile

#6 2010-03-16 09:24:08

zenlord
Website

tomk wrote:

jowilkin - try svn checkout. You need a password.

edit - ngoonee, sorry, this is off-topic, so I'll drop it. Hope you get a good build going. smile

Taken from the 'more info'-page:

If you are prompted for authentication information, you must provide your username (guest) and password.

User "guest" has an empty password.

@OPer: I'm interested in getting this to work. I have no experience writing a PKGBUILD whatsoever, but I'm willing to learn or at the very least test what you make of it (I have an Arch 64bit-server to test it on)

Zl.

#7 2010-03-16 12:56:14

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hi zenlord, do you have prior experience of actually using funambol? I've seen very little mention of it on these forums, so i don't know if anyone on Arch actually uses it. Just subscribe to this thread, I think I'll be doing the actual maintaining of the PKGBUILD, I just need help on the 'getting funambol to work' stuff.

#8 2010-03-16 15:42:03

zenlord
Website

I had already subscribed, because I'm interested.

My interests are professional, in a way that our small office is linux-only and that I would like to add funambol to our main server so that our PDA/telephones can be synced with email, calendar and contacts. Our main server uses Debian however, and I don't like playing around with our main server.

I was already thinking of using my mediaserver (Arch64) to get the hang of it (installing dovecot and davical to be able to test with a setup that is like the main server).

To summarize: I have no experience with funambol, but I'm motivated to learn how to use it smile

#9 2010-03-16 22:30:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

smile that's the best way to start, then. May I suggest you download the community edition itself (almost 200 MB) as well as the admin guide (its a pdf). I have both, and setup according to that guide is pretty easy, 10-20 minutes work tops. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to work for me, perhaps you'd have better luck?

#10 2010-03-18 09:58:16

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I've got a basic funambol setup working (syncing contacts, calendar, and todo between my palm and Evolution).

The PKGBUILD basically dumps stuff in /opt/Funambol currently. Next is to write up the /etc/rc.d/funambol (shouldn't be too hard) and figure out what sort of .desktop files are needed (probably just the admin utility).

Does anyone know if funambol has support for multiple calendars per user? Or do I have to create a new user for each calendar (and sync separately...)?

#11 2010-03-18 12:02:00

bharani

ngoonee wrote:

I've got a basic funambol setup working (syncing contacts, calendar, and todo between my palm and Evolution).

The PKGBUILD basically dumps stuff in /opt/Funambol currently. Next is to write up the /etc/rc.d/funambol (shouldn't be too hard) and figure out what sort of .desktop files are needed (probably just the admin utility).

Does anyone know if funambol has support for multiple calendars per user? Or do I have to create a new user for each calendar (and sync separately...)?

Its great that you have it working. i gave up after reading the manual. I think there is a need to change a configuration file for java home in arch 64 bit (the binary file is being bundled with 32 bit jre).

Tamil is my mother tongue.

#12 2010-03-18 13:13:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bharani wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Its great that you have it working. i gave up after reading the manual. I think there is a need to change a configuration file for java home in arch 64 bit (the binary file is being bundled with 32 bit jre).

Not a change in configuration file, just rm the folder and ln -s your current java there.

Here's an initial PKGBUILD. No makedepends that I'm aware of (its just cp, rm, ln, chmod). This gives you a working funambol, configuring and stuff is up to the user.

The todo list from the previous post is still undone though smile.

# Maintainer: Ng Oon-Ee < n g   o o n   e e AT g m a i l . c o m >
pkgname=funambol
pkgver=8.0.2
pkgrel=1
arch=(i686 x86_64)
url="http://www.funambol.com"
license=('AGPL3')
#makedepends=('db>=4.7' 'popt' 'libcups' 'acl' 'libldap' 'libcap>=2.16' 'heimdal>=1.3.1' 'pam' 'fam' 'gnutls>=2.4.1')
#options=(!makeflags)
depends=('java-runtime' 'python')
source=(http://download.forge.objectweb.org/sync4j/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tgz)
md5sums=('54a5f1e50dd51b4282046f824b986a72')

build() {
  cd ${srcdir}/Funambol/
  install -dv -m755 ${pkgdir}/opt/

# Copy Funambol files to /opt/Funambol
  cp -a ${srcdir}/Funambol/ ${pkgdir}/opt/
  # Removing built-in JRE, use system JRE
  rm -Rf ${pkgdir}/opt/Funambol/tools/jre-1.5.0/
  # Use system java libs
  ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/* ${pkgdir}/opt/Funambol/tools/jre-1.5.0

# hack to prevent a whole lot of prompts for removing write-protected file
  chmod -R 644 ${srcdir}/Funambol/tools/jre-1.5.0/jre/
}

#13 2010-03-18 13:49:08

bharani

There is another way.

There is a configuration file $FUNAMBOL_HOME/admin/etc/funamboladmin.conf. You can edit this file to give the path of your jdkhome.

Tamil is my mother tongue.

#14 2010-03-18 14:42:02

smaffulli

Hi guys, I'm glad that you're interested in building a package for Funambol. I can try to provide you background information, if you need them.

Meanwhile, here is some interesting reading:

Instructions for installing Funambol without using the bundled Tomcat and with MySQL: http://wiki.debian.org/FunambolInstallation

An old RPM package: http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ … h.rpm.html

This topic has been touched also on Funambol Discussion forum: https://core.forge.funambol.org/ds/view … geId=21633

and here is the latest attempt to create a .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu: https://core.forge.funambol.org/ds/view … geId=82904

I hope that this is enough to get started. If you need any help, I usually hang around #funambol on irc.freenode.net (i'm @reed)

--
Funambol :: Open Source Mobile Cloud Sync and Push Email
Community manager :: https://www.forge.funambol.org
Follow the tweets: http://twitter.com/funambol
Funambol Identi.ca group: http://identi.ca/group/funambol

#15 2010-03-18 22:46:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bharani wrote:

There is another way.

There is a configuration file $FUNAMBOL_HOME/admin/etc/funamboladmin.conf. You can edit this file to give the path of your jdkhome.

Cool, that sounds more do-able. I'll need to ask around for the 'proper' way to link java though. A static link like I'm using now (even if its in this conf file) would break the moment openjdk6 updates to openjdk7 or the like.

smaffulli wrote:

Hi guys, I'm glad that you're interested in building a package for Funambol. I can try to provide you background information, if you need them.

Hi smaffulli, I think I've seen you round the forums. You're 'stef' in the funambol forums aren't you? Thanks for dropping by smile

#16 2010-03-19 03:16:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Okay, got it up on the AUR. Testing appreciated. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35631

What I still want to figure out:-
- If I -Rd this package, all configs go with it (and all server data). Not good. Wonder whether there's a way around that (perhaps generating the server data in the post-install script)
- The post-install script is UGLY, anyone wants to help me beautify it? Its just like one lump of text...

#17 2010-03-19 08:42:24

smaffulli

ngoonee wrote:

Hi smaffulli, I think I've seen you round the forums. You're 'stef' in the funambol forums aren't you? Thanks for dropping by smile

That's me smile My pleasure.

#18 2010-03-19 16:25:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

smaffulli wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

That's me smile My pleasure.

Since you're here maybe I could pick your brain a bit. Basically I want to know the following:-
1. Is it adviseable to split the funambol server data from the rest of the install (binaries and java classes, stuff like that)? How much in terms of file locations is hard-coded?
2. How would I go about doing this splitting. I'm spoilt being on Arch, but I don't really find much documentation for funambol currently. I understand most of your users are enterprise (and paying), so perhaps that's why there's not a big enough community for documentation?

#19 2010-03-20 11:10:03

smaffulli

1. Is it adviseable to split the funambol server data from the rest of the install (binaries and java classes, stuff like that)?

Yes, indeed, it is something I wanted to do too, but I never had time to play with. Especially, it makes lots of sense to build the components separately: DS Server, CTP Listener, INBOX Listener, PIM Listener. Also, add dependencies for database (mysql or postgresql), java and tomcat. You probably have  to build them separately using maven. Instructions are in the Funambol developers guide.

How much in terms of file locations is hard-coded?

Honestly I don't know. Everything should be in the xml config files, though.

2. How would I go about doing this splitting. I'm spoilt being on Arch, but I don't really find much documentation for funambol currently. I understand most of your users are enterprise (and paying), so perhaps that's why there's not a big enough community for documentation?

Well, most users are enterprise but not paying smile Funambol sells to carriers, mostly, while the community edition is aimed at enterprises. There is a lot of documentation: a good place to start is the Funambol Forge Documentation page. The various design documents are a good read to help you understand the logic and architecture of the system. This should be enough for you to get started. Let me know where you hit a wall.

#20 2010-04-06 17:54:32

Tiru

Just switched from sidux to arch to get Funambol to work. Works like a charm (syncing contact Thunderbird - Windows Mobile). I'm afraid I'm not much use regarding any questions on splitting, config etc. but  thanks very much for providing the package.

#21 2010-04-06 23:23:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Welcome to Arch. I tried sidux ages back, but didn't work OOTB for me then. If its merely a matter of Funambol, and you prefer your old distro, reading the PKGBUILD as I've written it should tell you how to get things to work back there as well.

Of course, I'd recommend sticking with Arch, its much more stable than sidux, and probably faster on the update as well (weird, I know) most of the time.

I'm not currently using this package due to sync issue (all my additional mobile numbers get deleted unfortunately sad) but will continue to monitor, as this is the long-term solution I want to work towards.

#22 2010-04-08 18:49:48

smaffulli

hi ngoone

I think you've stumbled upon the issue Funambol has with syncing many numbers classified as 'mobile'. I think there is a workaround, but a real solution involves development and changes in the database structure. Patches are welcome, if anybody feels adventurous enough smile

/stef

#23 2010-04-08 22:48:48

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hi stef,

Yes, I noticed a few-months-old posting on that in the forums. Is a pity, in my area many people have more than one mobile phone, and data loss is bad.

Board footer