You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-31 20:37:21

Dawei87

[SOLVED] net-auto-wireless fails to start

im trying to run the net-auto-wireless daemon when i boot my computer, but everytime i boot it says [FAIL]. i have specified the WIRELESS_INTERFACE='wlan0' in the /etc/rc.conf, and followed the wiki, so im not sure what could be wrong. i am also using the net-auto-wired daemon, and it starts just fine. im not sure if there is a log file i can look at for the daemon or not either, if there was maybe i could see exactly why it fails. does anyone know how to help?

Last edited by Dawei87 (2010-04-04 18:57:26)

#2 2010-03-31 21:13:51

csat

Re: [SOLVED] net-auto-wireless fails to start

First you have to identify your wireless hardware, look for its driver and install it.  Only after having it working and getting results from iwlist scan you'll be able to use a network manager in order to connect the access point.  If you don't see nothing from iwlist scan means your hardware is not able yet.

CSAT
Arch User

#3 2010-03-31 21:29:37

Dawei87

i have done that. everything is properly installed and i am using net-profiles to connect to my home network at the moment. i can use netcfg to connect to anywireless network fine, but i would like for the net-auto-wireless daemon up so i have automatic connection to my profiles while roaming, so if i sleep my netbook and go to a friends house it will automatically connect to his network without me going through the terminal

#4 2010-04-01 02:17:16

csat

Ok.  Very clever.

CSAT
Arch User

#5 2010-04-01 02:30:19

alexandrite

Try starting net-auto-wireless manually from the console.

It should show some error output that might give some clue as to why it's failing.

#6 2010-04-01 06:25:15

Dawei87

unfortunately it doesnt want to give me any errors either, it pretty much just shows the same line i see at boot and it still fails... im at a total loss here...

#7 2010-04-04 02:23:38

Dawei87

well im not sure what has changed on my pc, but i just tried the net-auto-wireless daemon again and it worked, and after rebooting a couple times and it works too, so i guess im good for now. im not too sure if i should mark this thread solved though because i dont know what the solution was...

#8 2010-04-04 15:12:32

kasbah

It was probably something to do with your profiles. If you have a profile with no SECURITY field (i.e. you need SECURTY="none" in your profile if there is none) or you have no KEY field for instance then net-auto-wireless will fail silently.

A bug report has been filed as reported in this thread. If you are having this problem try to correct or clear out your profiles in /etc/network.d/ .

#9 2010-04-04 18:57:00

Dawei87

thanks for the info! thats very good to know. looking back on it, that may have been the case. i had just set up netcfg and made a profile for my home and my friends house, where i had not connected yet. but it turns out i had entered his password wrong and it was too short. i didnt know until after i tried to connect at my friends house and wpa_supplicant told me the password was too short. it was sometime after i fixed this net-auto-wireless started working. that is very odd behavior though, it would be nice if net-auto-wireless mentioned which profile has an error when it fails, or maybe just not fail when one profile has an error. i will go ahead and mark this thread as solved

Board footer